2014 Retina 13" Screen in a 2015? Why not?

bjf

I've wondered this for a while but don't like experimenting with stuff this new or valuable. However, one of my technicians just plugged in a 2014 Retina 13" screen into a 2015 model and according to him, it seemed to work fine. Does anyone know specifically what makes the 2015 screen different from the 2013/2014?

Last edited:

bjf

Thanks for the info. The only reason I care is because I just saw it working and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I told him to shut it down so I didn't actually get to see what was and wasn't working.

bjf

Because I went through the trouble of doing this and it's interesting information I'll post what I found. 2013/2014 screens do work in 2015 models. I tested this with multiple 2013/2014 screens and and multiple 2015 (Forcetouch) boards. They start off with no backlight (but with image) and then once they start to boot, the backlight comes on and the screen works normally. I have no idea how this would play out over time, so I'm not convinced it's a good idea, but in about 10 minutes of use all is normal.