820-00138 Some Mac startup key combinations not working

dam1inc

Hi guys, gotta water damaged 820-00138-A that would come on but would get really hot, theres no brd for this particular model so i kind of just winged it.
water damage wasnt that bad looks like it only affected the area in the pic ive attached.

anyways my problem is some of the mac startup key combos arent working.

i replaced U4850 as that was in affected area and tossed the board into the ultrasonic, keyboard connector looks good and so does the FPC connector on the board.
Also SMC reset key combo seems to be working and the power button too but not Command+r or Option+power...ive ordered a new fpc but am not sure if thats my problem since there is power and some functionality..
ALSO if i just power it on i get some weird screen(screenshot attached), not sure if that is apart of my problem.
Thanks

Attachments

• pKE0LKB.jpg
    pKE0LKB.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 0
  • gRBwq7O.jpg
    gRBwq7O.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ph91jvj.jpg
    ph91jvj.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 0

dam1inc

I just realized that I forgot to mention that there were 3 test points blown, in the 1st pic my finger is pointing to the one I fixed which was pretty obvious but right above my jumper is the other 2 test points that I couldn't figure out what to do with as I couldn't locate a .brd for this model. maybe that has something to do with it?

dukefawks

Administrator
That screen is a kernel panic. Can you boot the machine from USB? Use external keyboard and disconnect internal one.

dam1inc

FPC connector doesn't look to good so I ordered some just in case

But I had a question about this board, I was wondering what the components are that I've circled in the attached photo thanks

Attachments

• 20180618_194259.jpg
    20180618_194259.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

dukefawks

Administrator
Those are the keyboard matrix decoders. They take the keyboard data lines and translate it to a serial output that goes to the trackpad.

Can you even boot this board into OSX? No use replacing connectors if it does not boot.

dukefawks

Administrator
Connect a known good trackpad and cable for testing. The trackpad has to be working for the keyboard to work on these models. Is the trackpad connector in good shape?