820-00165 Progress Bar gets stuck at close to 100%

bjf

Is it safe to say this is BIOS-related? Things start off normally but then it hangs while booting. Never gets past the progress bar. Any suggestions on where to go with this?

MOberdick

Is this from an internal SSD or trying to load a bootable drive as well? I'd recommend trying a bootable to rule out it being a failed SSD or corrupted software... if the same thing happens, pop it open and try it with just the bare minimum plugged in, keyboard, lcd, and charger. I had a retina that did this and it was actually the wifi card being plugged in that was preventing it from booting. A new wifi card fixed my problem. Just sharing experience, good luck!

bjf

Thanks. Yes, with something like this I try to rule out the obvious things. Tried with external test drive. Tried with all cables and components disconnected. Tried with different trackpad, different trackpad cable.

dukefawks

Administrator
Could be an ME issue, usually it was messed with. There was someone that had a clean BIOS for these on here. It was shared on a DM, do a search.

bjf

Ok, thanks. Given that, it would probably be good to mention that the computer was booting normally and worked fine for a number of days. This is a new problem. I'm assuming that might change things.

bjf

No Title

Spill, minor. Ultrasonic-only fix. Worked for a few days. Now gets stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo829.jpg
    photo829.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bjf

C'mon Louis, please let me upload pictures. This can't be this impossible. What am I missing?

dukefawks

Administrator
Could be ME but I doubt it would fail after it worked. There must be corrosion somewhere, maybe under SMC/CPU/RAM? Where was original corrosion?

dukefawks

Administrator
No idea, remove diagnostic connector. Corrosion around the CPU Vcore FETs seems the worst, flux and heat it. U/S the thing again.

bjf

Reflowed that area with flux. No change. Cleaned it again. Booted up normally. And then went back to getting stuck again. Not sure what this is telling me other than I'm screwed.

dukefawks

Administrator
Corrosion somewhere, no way I can help with this, sorry. Probably corroded pin under one of the FETs that had corrosion. Pull the parts that had corrosion and inspect.