820-2936 - Corroded LVDS connecter. No image after replacing.

gcain

The LVDS connecter was burnt out and corroded through. I have replaced it twice.

Laptops chimes and works on external display. It gives me a backlight and thin white line down the bottom. Like the image has been compressed into a 2px high line. It is also doing a scan effect with the backlight. Hard to explain and I can't get a picture of it.

Customer is losing his mind over this one. :/
But I just can't seem to get the picture back.

gcain

My shop test screen just gives a backlight with no picture.

I have never worked out the compatibility between MLB though. A screen off a 3115 would work on a 2936?

jadao

No thats doesn't look right.
did you put a 2012 lcd in 820-2936?
it s same pinout but diferent connectors...
there is a little gap when you insert the lvds it s easy to short with neighbor pins...
last time I did that L9004 burned because pin 2 lvds touched pin 1 on connector.

gcain

L9004 seems to measure okay.

Will replace L9080 in the mean time, can I replace it with an L9080 from 2530?
All my 2936s are missing their L9080s already.

jadao

0.03 in diode mode with red probe on ground and black probe on pin2 L9080 is low, its a short to ground.
L9080 can't be the reason because it doesnt provide internally a path to gnd.
L9080 is bad when you don't have continuity between pins 2 & 3 or/and 1 & 4.

When you removed L9080 did you check witch side 0.03 was showing? On pin 2 or pin 3?

Most likely short is coming from lvds J9000 connector. Inspect pin 18 and 19 on j9000.

gcain

Thanks Jadao,

Just before I saw your post I was starting to think it might be the LVDS jack causing a short. There really isn't anything else.

I'll replace it in the morning and report back.

dukefawks

Administrator
If the short come from LCD connector it is usually a full short. I suspect a bad PCH. Remove L9080 and see on which side the short is, I bet the PCH.