820-3332 Computer Shut Down Because of Problem Message.

JohnB8812

Ok so this seemed like a simple U8900 issue fix, and after touching it up two days ago, the issue of it crashing on boot went away and for an entire day, the Mac was working fine would boot normal then shutdown normal no issue at all. NOW, it's not good. The battery, for one, says service battery, but that is not the issue as it does this even with no battery installed. What it seems to constantly do is boot about 60%, crash give me the error saying it restarted because of a problem message, hit a key try to boot, CRASH at the same point give SAME message, then on the third try boot and work fine. I have touched up U8900 again just to be safe and the joints are perfect, but the issue persists. I also noticed that if the computer hangs or pinwheels, closing the lid does not put the Mac to sleep as in the backlight and image stay on. The only thing I have not tried yet is a known good SSD. Could this be as simple as an OS problem/SSD problem? SSD is not full has 60 GB's free, but it is on 10.13.4 the newest OS. I'm definitely going to try another drive to rule it out, but I'm officially stumped on this one.

History btw: just started doing this out of the blue NO liquid damage period like very very clean and no drop damage that I can visibly see.

JohnB8812

And one other thing, when I close the lid in the OS, the computer won't sleep BUT it also freezes and locks up at times.

And the CPU and GPU get fairly warm when booting I have noticed that.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Booting off my ASD disk externally never fails once.

So isn't this just a corrupted OS? Enough shit with APFS that even a reinstall will not fix. Need to wipe and start over..

JohnB8812

Ok that’s likely what I’m going to do. I got a test SSD running an older OS and it has yet to fail to boot once even though I have noticed it takes a while to shut down fully or at all without holding the power button down at some point. Also seems to have fixed lid issue too with the other SSD. I’m going to make sure customer wants to wipe it and go from there.

JohnB8812

Ok so sounds like this one might still be giving issues. Have tried OS installers and it wants to hang on the loading bar 50% of the time or so, and the other 50% of the time it loads and says it can't install the OS. Also trying known good drive, it tends to hang at boot sometimes and freeze. Any ideas? Would replacing U8900 help anything? This seems like it's going to suck

dukefawks

Administrator
Cant install issue is probably the date/time being wrong.

Hanging on boot is likely a GPU/VRAM issue. It is the screw hole right next to the VRAM that causes cracked solder under VRAM. Pull and reball VRAM and have fun removing the glue...