820-3435-A - cremated U7100

jpadie

I've just had one of the above in. bits of stray metal wire all over the motherboard (abortive hookup wires?) and many of the probe points are bright blue; some are purplish. It looks like a huge current has passed through the board.

no orange light, no green light no PPBUS.

U7100 gets very hot. When I removed it, many of the pads came with it (pin 9,10,11 and 15 - some others are dodgy too).

but even with u7100 removed there is still very low resistance on the pp1v05 circuit and the pp1v2 circuit

no evident liquid damage on the board itself. one component show arcing (R1270). the backlight fuse has gone and U7701 looked like all the balls on the edge side had fused.

the IO board does have signs of liquid damage but the components look ok if skanky; and it is sending the 15+V to the logic board.

this feels like it's going to be beyond profitable repair. hooking up u7100 is feasible (ish) but my concern is that with the liquid damage on the IO board and the arcing on the 1v+ lines, there could be much more that is dead.

Anyone seen anything similar? Feelings on being worth repair?

thanks
Justin

dukefawks

Administrator
Board will work on a charged battery without U7100 installed to see if there is any life. It sounds pretty bad though and probably a RIP.