820-3435-B - odd behaviour

jpadie

I got one of the above through recently and opened it today. Supposedly dead, but once I disconnected the battery and swabbed away some of the worst of the gunk it span up ok.

the board was disgusting. Green goo, hair and (probably) rice grains all over the place. no specific area worse than others.

so I cleaned it up with ultrasound, alcohol and drying oven... and then it stopped spinning up. nothing beyond S5 rails.

on a closer look U5450 was missing a number of legs. So I swapped that out and then found pins 4 and 5 had no traces to the pads on (nostuffed) R5669 and R5667.

then two hours later randomly started again. It has been stable since.
there were also some traces missing. one was between U7090 and C7094 (PP3v42_G3H_BOOST which goes via the cap back into U7090 - PP3v42_G3H_SW. Pin 3 is at about 10.5v, pin 4 at 3v42 but there is no continuity between pin 3 and C7094). I didn't check for continuity from the U7090 pins to their eventual destination. I'll do so when I get the board back.
I've not replaced the traces yet as the laptop was stable and it was needed by the owner for a few days.

The OS takes a long time to load up from a reboot and it does not seem to save to the NVRam.

is all this known behaviour? explainable by the missing traces perhaps?

many thanks
justin

jpadie

Thanks. ASD was fully ok. Behaviour is now stable except for the long switch off and boot cycle. Will fix the traces at the weekend and report back.