[820-3536] Knocked over case pin, ruined board?

smiba

Currently working on a 820-3536 which doesn't boot at all (No fan spin, green light then turns orange) and I've noticed that one of those pins that ground the casing have been knocked over. This exposes some of the traces in the board but I don't think there are any broken connections.

Picture:https://i.imgur.com/GFpcouU.jpg & https://i.imgur.com/LJFhL3S.jpg

The few metal things that are stuck on the pin all seem to be connected to the pin itself, which if it was still on the board would probably just connect the pin to those pads/holes?

I think it should be alright, but I just wanted to make sure this is not the reason why the board would be non-functional. I rather don't want to spent hours of time just to realise its fucked :p

Thanks!

smiba

I ripped it off cleanly

Anyways some more serious stuff, this doesn't look too well...

https://i.imgur.com/5cOlKsk.jpg

Any tips on what approach to take to restore these pads?

Also C1031, C7323 and C7372 seem to be ripped off but their legs are still soldered on. I've never soldered caps like this so I have no idea how to properly desolder them from a donor board and solder them on. Especially when the legs are still in. What approach to take?

(Since these caps are missing, would this be a reason for it not to enter a S0 state?)

Thanks again and sorry for being the biggest noob :eek:, Glad you're here to help

EDIT: Also the yellow stuff on the pads, is that just glue or are those actual lines? I've never had ripped off pads before on a board and I need to know if I can scrape them away without ruining the complete board.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
There are no pads to restore, there is nothing damaged you are just looking at fibers of the PCB material.
All those missing caps are not critical for operation. It does make me question as to what happened to this board. Looks like it was thrown around, so more missing parts are to be expected.

smiba

This board has definitely seen better times, I have no idea what happened to it, other then it being damaged or missing some components I see no other damage to the board and/or his traces though. It has suffered from water damage but sadly I think someone else tried to "fix" it by just putting it in a ultrasonic (Which might have been to aggressive and knocked these parts off?). The water indicators are bright red but I don't see any corrosion at all

I'll continue diagnosing the board soon, when I'm finished I'd love to put at least a few of those capacitors back. I don't think its alright to call it a quality repair while various parts are missing from the board.

How do I go and restore the pads for C7619 and replace the 6 other caps just like it? (Some of them only have legs, but a few at a different part of the board have cracks going through them and I don't trust them to last) I tried looking on Louis his channel but I'm unable to find a video where he replaces these capacitors.

smiba

PPBUS_G3H 12.47v
PPBUS_S5_HS_COMPUTING 12.45v
PPBUS_S5_HS_OTHER3V3 12.45v
PPBUS_S5_HS_OTHER5V 12.45v

PP3V42_G3H 3.37v
PPDCIN_G3H_ISOL 16.47v (Yes, its a 60W charger, the other one is currently in use but since its a 13" model it should be alright)
PPDCIN_G3H 16.43v

PP5V_S5 5.00v
PP5V_S4 0v

PP3V3_S5 3.3v
PP3V3_S4 0v

The board is also missing quite a few parts, most of them are ripped off but some are actually desoldered:

Missing: C0890, C0891, C0892, C1264, U1900, C6919, C1031, C7323, C7372

There has definitely been screwed with this board, I'll try to fix it but honestly I think I should accept I've been scammed for a very expensive donor board

smiba

Short on PPVRTC_G3H (measured at R1300, pin 1)

Its currently 1AM so I'll continue working on it tomorrow, I'll probably check out the schematics to follow the line and check the parts along the way. Any tips or specific area's to look at?

Thanks!

smiba

Darn, there indeed isn't anything left on PPVRTC_G3H to cause a short other then the CPU.

Do you think the CPU is toast or could re-balling may work?