820-4924 - No power ?

kronos23

I have a 820-4924 that is liquid damaged. It looks pretty good as the customer brought it quickly. However it is not powering on. Since I do not have a board view for this board, I am not sure where to start.
I did an ultrasonic cleaning in the crest but that hasn't helped.The problem is rather strange. The Macbook appears to be on because the CPU heats and the fan spins after a few minutes (I know this is normal on this board). However the system shows no other signs of life. No caps lock light, no chime, no display/backlight. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

MOberdick

You said no display on an external monitor either correct? In my experience I had a retina with the same symptoms and it was a bad BIOS and I had to reprogram it... Not sure if that may be the case here but i'm just providing input from my experience with this problem.

dukefawks

Administrator
Could be anything, most likely corrosion somewhere. Give it a good clean and inspect closely for corrosion. Could be corrosion under any of the BGA chips too..

kronos23

I did ultrasonic cleaning already and inspected it closely. No more corrosion. Got my hands on a schematic and all power rails are present. Hmmm, you think liquid damaged the BIOS ?