iPod Touch 4 data recovery. Not booting. White screen loop during attempted flash

joshAU

Hi all.
I'm trying to recover some photos from a customer's iPod touch 4.
When it was bought in, it was in a Apple logo - white screen - reboot loop.

I can get it into recovery mode, and I have tried to flash it from there using 3uTools, however the flash fails with "Error: Unable to restore iDevice(-1)"
I have tried to flash it in both "Retain User's Data" and "Fix Flash" modes, but both fail with the same error.
During the flash, it gets to 19%, the screen on the iPod shows the Apple logo with the progress bar underneath it, then the screen goes white, then the unit restarts back into recovery mode.

If I click "Exit recovery mode", it restarts and goes though a loop showing the Apple logo, then a white screen, and then restarts.
This was on a Windows 7 system.

I retried on another PC with windows 10 - 21H2, with the latest version of iTunes and 3uTools.
It also fails, differently...
It stays for ages on 18%, then gets to 19% and hangs there saying "Restoring".
At first the iPod displays just the Apple logo, then a short while later the phone reboots back into DFU mode.

I've tried cleaning the port and tried with a new cable.
I've also disassembled it and tried with a new screen.
I've also disconnected the battery.
As far as I am aware it is not Jail broken.

I've searched for the 3u specific error with out any success - other than it looks like a hardware issue.
I suspect it could also be a lack of space issue, as the customer said that it was full.

Any suggestions appreciated.