MacBook Pro M4 Pro A3401 – DFU Restore fails at update_PS190 (Error 9)

waterchill

Member
Title: MacBook Pro M4 Pro A3401 – DFU Restore fails at update_PS190 (Error 9)

Hi everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 14" M4 Pro (A3401) with a strange DFU Restore issue.
I replaced the original display with an aftermarket one. The MacBook worked perfectly for about two weeks afterward, with no issues whatsoever.
I was planning to upgrade the NAND storage to 4TB. As I always do before NAND upgrades, I performed a DFU Restore to verify that everything was working correctly beforehand.

Unfortunately, the restore failed, and the MacBook is now unable to boot.

Symptoms:
  • DFU Restore consistently fails at update_PS190 (checkpoint 0x131C, error 9).
  • RestoreOS disconnects immediately after this checkpoint starts.
  • DFU Revive fails with error 21 (device rejected local policy).
  • Startup options begin loading, followed by the exclamation mark.
Already tested:
  • Original Apple display reinstalled
  • Different USB-C cables and host MacBooks
  • Fresh macOS installation on the host
  • Different macOS versions (26.x / 27.x)
  • MagSafe power connected
No NAND chips have been removed, replaced, or modified.

Has anyone experienced this exact issue or successfully repaired a MacBook failing at the PS190 checkpoint?
Any board-level troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
 
Top