Prohibitory sign on older C2D Boards?

SMMRepair

I have several older C2D boards that I have set aside over the past few years that have an odd issue. I was going to use them for parts, but just found them again and was curious about this particular issue. The issue is that when trying to boot the boards, they will only boot into OSX successfully if you do a PRAM reset each time you boot it. If you don't do a PRAM reset, you get the prohibitory "circle with a diagonal line through it" sign. Swapped a good BIOS chip onto the board a long time ago, and remember it didn't resolve the issue.

Any ideas what causes this issue? Is it an MCP issue? I have 2 820-2530 boards, 1 820-2390 and 1 820-2610 board that have the same issue. Just wondering if anyone had successfully resolved this issue before.

SMMRepair

Hey Duke, thanks.

As we always do, the boards were all tested in known-good test assemblies with drives loaded with clean installs of OSX. Do you mean we should do a clean install using the boards themselves? I.e., do an internet restore or USB install of OSX Lion/M. Lion with the exact board installed, versus using a drive that already has a clean install of OSX? What would be the reasoning why that would resolve the issue?

Thanks!