replacing keyboard a1502 (power button not working)

ytesfay80

Hi, I have a rMBP Late 2013 that needs the keyboard replaced. The power button is not working after a coffee spill but the connector and traces are all fine. When I plug in another keyboard it works perfectly fine.
I can't find any videos on replacing a keyboard for this model. I am not sure if the battery will need to be removed in order to replace the keyboard.

If anyone has replaced these and could let me know that would be great

dukefawks

Administrator
Yes, battery is partially in the way. I always lift the battery including the metal plate that covers the track pad. Rip out the keyboard and knock the remaining rivets out with a screw driver. That is all the same as on any Air models.

ytesfay80

Since these models have the battery glued on what would be the best/safest way to get the battery lifted off because I don't have an iOpener that ifixit sells.

dukefawks

Administrator
Shove something under it. This is not rocket science......Be careful with it though, easy to damage the battery. Best to practice on a case with a bad battery.

ytesfay80

Okay I have another machine I can practice with. I was thinking that I might need to put some hot air on it to soften the adhesive like the ifixit guides say to do.