[SOLVED]820-2914-A no backlight issue

jgraffis

I have this 17" 820-2914-A that has no backlight.
what i've done so far

backlight fuse test good with 12.3v on both sides
checked for voltage a lvds connector pins 38,39,40 i get 38.2v
checked pin 4 i get 3.2v
checked pin 2-3 i get 3.1v
i have replaced both lcd and cable with known tested components

it is posting video just no backlight. not really sure what I'm missing. any ideas?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

dukefawks

Administrator
38V means there is no load on the bus. Check connector/cable/LCD. You can connect a 15" assembly for testing if available.

jgraffis

thanks duke. i did test with anther 17" and 15" using tested cables with same result. the only think i have left to try is change the connector. i will try and report back.

jgraffis

voltage on BKLT_EN ON R9715 is 3.11v
voltage on BKLT_EN ON R9731 IS 0.0V
voltage on BKLT_PWM ON R9704 IS 0.0V

i find it interesting that there is voltage on r9715 but not on r9731 so i checked for continuity and everything seems ok.

dukefawks

Administrator
If it is on R9715 it must be on R9731, it is a resistor divider and one cannot work without the other. It does mean that I cannot rely on your measurements though cause they are obviously wrong.
But BKLT_PWM is not there if you measured correctly. Do a PRAM reset and see if it comes on. May need to do it a few times and power off and boot into OSX. Then try to turn up the brightness on the keyboard.

jgraffis

i've measured them a couple times because thats what i thought too. and still same results. but in the mean time i decided to check for short to ground on bklt_pwm and sure enough it was grounded. i traced it back to R9693 removed the resistor and sure enough short to ground on pin1 of R9693. I'm guessing this means U9600 has an issue.

jgraffis

i did remove the r9704 and the short to ground is on the pin 2 LVDS_BLK_PWM_RC. Which if I'm correct means i have to change U9701. ill report back soon as i get that changed.

jgraffis

ok. i got the U9701 changed with no more short to ground on LVDS_BLK_PWM_RC, but still no voltage on it and no voltage on either side of R9704 which i believe comes from R9693 which has no voltage either. so would that be an smc issue?

dukefawks

Administrator
Remove R9704 and connect pin 2 to C9711. This puts 3V on the PWM input and LCD will always be on full brightness. Else you need to change the MUX which is not worth the hassle.

jgraffis

i did as asked with running a wire and it worked. So what I'm wondering is could i run a wire from a 3.3v sleep line and have the screen turn off during sleep mode?

dukefawks

Administrator
Uhm backlight should go off in sleep, does it stay on? Does it even really go to sleep, light on front pulsing? I bet J4800 not connected.

jgraffis

i just miss read what u said, thought the backlight would always be on when the machine is on or in sleep. but i see now its just the screen brightness will always be at highest.
right now I'm just testing for backlight out of the system, i will put the board back in the case and test then report back.

jgraffis

It does go to sleep but screen brightness is not adjustable which I'm ok with. Hopefully it doesn't kill the battery too fast lol.