[solved]820-2915 SHIFT acts like it's stuck (new keyboard, did not fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrbailey

I have a similar issue to someone with the 820-3115, I believe.

820-2915 board. Keeps booting in Safe mode. But I figured it was due to liquid damage on the keyboard. I could hold down shift when booting and it would do a normal boot and not go into safe mode. Figured the keyboard was screwed, as it would also act like I was holding down shift while pressing any keys (letters were all CAPS and numbers were all the secondary symbols (!@#$%^&*()_+)

I replaced with a new keyboard and still has the same issue. I got frustrated last night and now am at work. I'll check between U5701 and kb connector. I did clean the connector (didn't see any stickiness or corrosion, but cleaned anyway, to no avail.)

Does this sound like a trace issue?

dukefawks

Administrator
Corrosion around U5750 or corrosion in the keyboard connector, pin 3 and 4. Look at diagram how the left shift works.

wrbailey

Corrosion around U5750 or corrosion in the keyboard connector, pin 3 and 4. Look at diagram how the left shift works.

U5750 is what was originally shorted to ground. I replaced it from a "hole" board... Do you think it could be bad still? The short has been eliminated.

dukefawks

Administrator
Is WS_LEFT_SHIFT_KBD high? If yes then probably your keyboard connecter is bad. Or you soldered U5750 wrong

wrbailey

Yeah. I must have soldered it on incorrectly. Instead of trying to figure that out, I just pulled another off a board and made sure to be very deliberate with my soldering this time and no more safe mode! All seems well. Thanks again Duke!! This can be marked as fixed or solved!

Is WS_LEFT_SHIFT_KBD high? If yes then probably your keyboard connecter is bad. Or you soldered U5750 wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.