[SOLVED]A1398 killed by Apple... proof of incompetence attached.

tiburcio

​​​​​My MacBook failed first by showing the no disk (question mark) then no light on the charger. I opened up and guess what... I found a little friend right next to the SSD. The last time this machine was serviced was by the Apple at the there store!! They replace the whole board and I guess this screw was left dancing around.image_1602.jpg

I'll try to get this recognized by Apple but I guess I get their middle finger as they usually do.

I hope my SSD is not completely toasted but first I need to revive the charging. Can this thing also killed the one wire circuit?. Maybe a fuse? Since I still don't have access to the schematics any help to narrow the issue greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20180212_133306.jpg
    IMG_20180212_133306.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
That is a screw from the fan. They are common to fall out and not caused by an idiot.

First need to get the green light back. Disconnect battery and connect the charger. Check if PP3V42 is present and check PPBUS voltage. Schematics can easily be found with Google. Looks like a 820-3787 board.

tiburcio

That is a screw from the fan. They are common to fall out and not caused by an idiot.

First need to get the green light back. Disconnect battery and connect the charger. Check if PP3V42 is present and check PPBUS voltage. Schematics can easily be found with Google. Looks like a 820-3787 board.

Thanks Duke. It's fixed and I did nothing, well, nothing that should fix the machine.

First, you were right. The two screws were from one of the fans. While I was measuring PP3V42 in one of my tests... green light in the charger and boots. The only thing I did was to get the fan screws back and start testing.

Before I tried everything, disconnecting the battery, trying without the SSD, with the SSD... no charging light (and before the battery died could not find the SSD) It will remain a mystery. If this was caused by the dancing screw next to the SSD who knows.
T