Macbook A1707 With Touchbar repair help

ALB-Repairs

Real long shot as i cant find a schematic or BRD for this (820-00281-A)

I have an A1707 with liquid damage, a resistor is open circuit. It was pretty badly corroded. The pad underneath it was gone, There is no traces, the pad connected straight to a tiny Via that goes through the board, i have no way of knowing the value of the resistor or what it was connected to.

Anyone got one of these i could compare measurements with?
Thanks

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
I only have a 13" here. :( maybe it is the same circuit? Can you take a picture of the area with the resistor, and then the resistor itself?

ALB-Repairs

No Title

Its right by the audio jack flex and another flex (maybe TouchID or something)

Thing is everything seems to work, USB C, Touchbar, Audio, TouchID.ect

Attachments

• photo1000.jpg
    photo1000.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1001.jpg
    photo1001.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1002.jpg
    photo1002.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

bjf

The A1706 13" board is different in that area so it might not be much help. On the 15" board I'm measuring 0.5Ω with the resistor on the board. Measured with a Fluke 115. The top pin is ground. The bottom pin is measuring .502 voltage-drop to ground in diode mode. That should help you find which line it's on. It's not connected to anything in the area that I can find. It might be the other side of the board.

Last edited:

ALB-Repairs

Thanks for the info BJF
Ive figured out the dead part, somehow the power button not working slipped by me.
I believe its the SMC_ON_OFF_L line, Im going to poke around the macbook 12" schematics see if i can find anything interesting.
Im hoping its the same 10K resistor and cap to ground (it seems to have the cap to ground) used on older models.

Im looking for some debug pads, that could be a quick fix rather than looking for SMC_ONOFF_L.

Edit for quick update:
I was correct, that is the power button resistor, ive found debug pads, ran a quick ugly jumper and retested the button, All good now!

Will post pictures when ive given it a cleanup.

Last edited: