thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

820-00165 No SLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look very closely at U1950, pin 8 is the main suspect.

Comment

Pin 8 has 3.42V. Pins 1 and 2 have 0.06V. All other pins are measuring 0V. U1950 and the area around it looks good. Doesn't look like it got hit by anything.

Comment

Pin 1 and 2 should get a pulse on there. Best to check on pin 7, it should get a pulse just like you measured elsewhere.

Comment

Pin 7 and 1 get a pulse that got up to about 1V at times - usually around 0.5V. Pin 2 got up to almost 3V some of the time.

Comment

My suspect of SPI ROM data line is still the best guess. Remove ROM and measure all pins on diode mode.

Comment

Okay, here are those measurements:

1. .584
              2. .497
              3. .565
              4. 0
              5. .526
              6. .526
              7. .575
              8 .413

Comment

If this is with chip removed that all seems fine. I am out of ideas on this one. Maybe corrosion under SMC or CPU?

Comment

Yes, that was with the chip off. Thanks, I'll keep digging. Could this just be a bad ROM chip or bad programming? And do you know if the fan would spin up without an SPI ROM chip on it?

Comment

Without ROM it will power cycle on/off. I doubt the ROM will be bad <1%. Corrosion somewhere......

Comment

Ok, got it, thanks. I'll work with that and see what I can find.

Comment

Ok, so I had decided to let this one go, but then when I was using it as a diode-measurement reference for another 00165 board I noticed that U1950 was mangled and had some bad diode measurements. I replaced it and now my 3V42 line is at about 7V. Any thoughts about this? The diode measurements on U1950 all match a good board now.
                        Last edited by bjf; 09-19-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

U1950 cannot affect 3V42. No idea what is going on.

Comment

It had no 3V42 problem before I switched that. I replaced U7090 and it's still at 7V. I guess I'll give up on this again. No time for extended battles.

Comment

The original board in this thread had 3V42 or it would have been totally dead. No idea what board this is then....

Comment

It did have 3V42. It's the same board. It was fine until I switched out U1950. Something changed in the 3V42 line when I did that. Either way, moving on.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X