820-00840 Blown up USB-C.

bjf

Has anyone replaced the USB-C connectors on this board or any of the non-Touch Bar 2016/2017 Pros? I have one with a crater in it, and a bad short so I have to pull it off, and hopefully replace it. Any tips?

dukefawks

Administrator
Never done that, would need a donor or maybe the connector is the same as the ones on the separate boards. Probably will take a lot of heat as I imagine the board will be pretty beefy around those ports. If one of the ports is working I would recommend just living with the burned one and capping it off.

bjf

Ok, thanks. It's got a shorted crater so I have to at least remove the one bad one. I'll try pulling it off and see what happens.

bjf

Done, thanks. Came off really clean with wire cutter. Short is gone on DC-in line. Has short on PPBUS still. I'll track that down and see where I'm at after eliminating that.

dukefawks

Administrator
Hmmm, if this was no liquid it may very well have been lightning then or a really shitty chinese charger.

bjf

No, this one was liquid-damaged. I've posted a lot of boards lately, you might be thinking of a different one.

bjf

Nevermind, another crater right near the PPBUS fuse. Dead short, can't dig it out. I have a new, very expensive 2017 donor board.

Last edited:

ielectron

did u actually replace the usb connectors? i have one liquid damaged board 820-00840, the board seems clean, but the usb connectors are rusted away, it actaully takes 20V 0.02A measured with usb-c meter, there is loads of BGA around , how can i safely replace the connectors?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Please open new thread with your problem.

I recommend you to use Quik Chip alloy to remove damaged connector.
58 degrees version should be the best for that.
Be aware, clean all the solder very good, before resolder new connector!!!