820-3115 with no backlight

Hi there, new to the whole board repair stuff, so please bear with me

Got a 3115 with a huge hole by the LCD conn. pins 21 and 22
caps c9796 and c9020 were blown off.

with U9701 removed (looked messed up) and both aforementioned caps removed, I have full continuity to ground from pin 5 of U9701.
also full continuity to ground from the pads under pin 1 of both the C9796 and c9020.

any pointers of where to start?
again, sorry if I am clueless..

EDIT: History is liquid damage around the LCD and U9701 area. not previously worked on.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Looks like you have a short in the board from PPVOUT_SW_LCDBKLT to GND. Sometimes you can dig it out at the LCD connector but many times you will have to lift every component on that line and run a wire to make your own rail.
Don't dig too much around the LCD connector or risk messing up other traces. Do you at least have an image without backlight?

Thanks duke. Yeah i do get image, just no backlight.

Shit, this is going to be a pain in the bumhole..
I did indeed do some digging at the C9020/C9796 area, but I can't seem to remove the short; it's only becoming more gross-looking. (L9080 is standing on the edge of a giant crater the size of fucking grandcanyon)

So i would have to run wires from and to every component on the PPVOUT_SW_LCDBKLT line, without them touching any parts of that original trace, right? Doesn't that mean i have to start at pin 5 from U9701? I can't use the probe point there, so i was thinking to attach a wire to the IC itself and have that run to the caps at the LCD Connector (which, in turn need to be off the board) ?
I guess i could mount the caps standing up?

dukefawks

Administrator
Yup everything needs disconnected. You can forget about the small caps like C9020. I don't know how much time you have to waste, but I don't think I would bother with something like this.