2010 15" MBP boots but fans running on high after doing C9560 kernel panic repair

2010 15" MBP boots but fans running on high after doing C9560 kernel panic repair

I just did the replacement and it did boot up OK into OS, buthave the fans going full tilt. I tried the usual SMC reset and RRAM to no avail. Can you please give me a pointer?

I did use hot air, as shown in the video. And I did place the cap right side up, NOT as shown in the video. Since I posted this, I just installed and just slowed down the fans with Mac fan control. In Mac Fan Control is showed the setting at 6000rpm, max, when I first opened it. I selected 'sensor based', which slowed them down . But I will still run ASD later tonight and see what comes up. Thank you.

Just noticed in Activity monitor that kernel-task is taking 290% 117 Threads ...whatever that means. I have some more of the capacitors, so if hot air was bad, I can and will take it off and replace with a new one, not using hot air. Fans are still noisy

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Camera module has ALS sensor, so disconnecting its cable can also generate error and fan spins at max.
Run ASD...

Use only solder iron for that cap.
Heat and lift each pin.

OK, finally got back to this puzzle: Running ASD EFI 3S138 and it came up with "Error-SMC IO failed" , and also " Error: No SMART attributes to check"
I am curious about the cap: You are implying that using hot air might have been harmful to my cap. Is this the case for all caps?
I only had Louis' video ( www.rossmanngroup.com/boards/forum/...on-high-after-doing-c9560-kernel-panic-repair) go by, in which he scraped the negative terminal to make it larger.
I must have a noob-type mental block here , since I simply cannot make sense of this: The 330 uf caps have 3 terminals, one positive and 2 negative: the 2 negative ones internally connected. So if positive goes on the left, as seen in the video, then why did he have to scrape the negative pad to enlarge? The negative terminal on the cap lands quite easily on the negative pad as it is?
So before I go and remove the cap, and replace it with a new one via iron, can you shed some light into my confusion here?
Meanwhile my EFI test may take another 2 hours to do the DMA Full Read Scan at 1250.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I never put 3 terminals cap there, so no idea how it will fit there...
I use new caps same small size, in the last 2 years.
I used before normal size caps, recovered from scrap laptop boards; but with 2 terminals only.
In such case soldering iron does the job.
Unproper use of hot air there, can generate more problems...

Is SMC_AVREF voltage correct?
Post the entire test message for the errors you get.

OK, thank you on the cap info. I will replace them with caps of same value from a scrap board as you suggested. EFI ASD Test came in with just the 2 errors as mentioned above. In the dialog box under Status it says TEST PASSED. In the big field on the top right it said Failed. At the bottom it also said Testing failed. Regarding the 3 terminal cap, I just followed Louis' instruction...I have no other reference points, besides the new info you are providing...
OK, I will move on and test SMC-AVREF Voltage.
The voltage at PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC is 3.3V Tested at VR5020 P1 and testpoint 1272, as well as C5025 P1 and C5026 P1. Did not swap the cap yet.

I did replace the cap with another from a donor board, same values of course. No hot air was used. Upon reinstall of the cap I measures at C9560 and had the proper voltage there, 1.55V . It booted with the fans on full tilt again. I tried then another known good HDD with OSX Snow Leopard. The fans are still going, until I slow them down with MacFanControl. Temps read good. Stumped....was not a good day...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Tell us which test is related that error?
Post a picture, to see the test failed.

BTW, do NOT take same cap from scrap board.
I told that I used normal (big) size caps from scrap boards.
But I got new caps same (small) size; was from mouser, or farnell, I don't remember.

However, the high fan is not caused by C9560 now; leave it as is.

I am sorry 2informaticos, I did not fully got it, that you wanted me to take a photo of my test results.
If really needed, for you to help me with this, I will run it again of course. I am a bit concerned because my fans were running at 6000 rpm for over 2 hours during the test. I tried to describe the final Test result page as well as I could: There were two errors in the final result, namely :"Error-SMC IO failed" , and also " Error: No SMART attributes to check" . The rest of the tests came in green.

I was happy that it booted after my 2nd cap replacement, because after the test, but before I replaced my triple terminal cap, it did not even boot, but kept shutting down.
That was my only tiny victory yesterday.
However, trackpad now clicks, but cursor does not move via trackpad, is OK with mouse though. And fans still kick in high about 4 seconds after the chime...
At any rate, can you give me another clue where to look, given the info at hand, or do you need me to repeat the EFI ASD test to take pictures of the test results.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Uncheck SSD and RAM tests in ASD; that will save lot of time.

So I want to see the complet report for these failing tests.
Each test has usually 3-4 lines and start with a time stamp.
First line describes the test.
Past here that line (or all lines corresponding to failing test), instead of photo.

Do this for both errors...

Thank you for your patience, this is all very exciting new territory for me.

First I had selected 'On Error: Stop' and got the result called Error 1 below.
Then I changed it to 'On Error: Continue' and got the following results, I did not even omitted the timestamp.

Error count 3

-Check to ensure the sensor reads within operating range.
(19:30:42) ERROR - - 13007 (The SMC could not initialize this sensor) (1.00) TEST FAILED

-Checks the SMC's PID Sensor warning counter that is monitoring sensors of each PID loop for erratic behaviour.
(19:30:44) ​​​​​​ERROR --1 (The SMC's PID Sensor check has been tripped) TEST FAILED

-Checks battery has completed less cycles than design cycle count and maximum capacity is greater than 80% of design capacity.
(20:14:32) ERROR -- 6 (Capacity below minimum) --TEST FAILED

At this point testing took forever because I had forgotten to uncheck Memory. So I stopped it and just selected Trackpad:

Error count 1

Trackpad (test#6) -Multitouch Trackpad Untouched Test
-Verifies potential open issues by reading unbaseline raw data and making sure no consecutive high readings.
(21:01:31) ERROR--1 ( detected Trackpad Err.)--TEST FAILED

I hope this is helpful, and and also that I did not mangel the data again....

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot the first line for the first 3 failed tests.
Is exactly where the test is described.

ASD reports trackpad error and this could be (one of) the reason of high fan speed.
So try other trackpad and cable.

Yay, I am dancing a rig over here!!! Thank you so much for helping me discover ASD and the walking me through it. The fans are happy now, activity monitor shows no kernels in panic. I have another 820-2850-A at hand ( I had bought a bunch of these 2009/10 machines in various states to serve as learning aids) and took the trackpad out of it. That produced no change, so I switched out the trackpad cable as well. Then it booted , with normal fans, but some flicker on screen, which was caused by the display cable being a little dislodged. Fixed that by pushing it in all the way. Ran a partial ASD test , checked only the components which had shown error before, and it all came out PASSED. Humble bow into your general direction. Cheers, Jurgen