thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

820-00165 no green light SMC_RESET_L present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 820-00165 no green light SMC_RESET_L present

Hello all,

Am attempting to repair this board which has no green light. It has all the G3H "always present" voltage rails except that PPBUS_G3H is 8.1V. It is not going past this state and S4 and other voltages from there on out are missing. I can't see any shorts atm nor do i see an attempt at turning on and then shutting down because of a short. It just seems dead. SMC_RESET_L is 3.3v and the one wire circuit seems to be okay. I did have to cross ref the info for the LIO board where the one wire circuit is as I can't find the LIO schematic for this board.

Your help as always, greatly appreciated.

Tried another DC-in board/cable? History liquid drop etc? Sounds like corrosion under the SMC or bad SMC to me

Comment

Yes forgot to mention that I did try another DC in board and cable. Customer didnt mention liquid damage and I don't see any corrosion.

Comment

Either corrosion under SMC, bad SMC, or bad ISL6259 (less likely). Start by giving the SMC a nice light reflow be sure to remove the edge bonding well. If no change, replace from and identical 820-00165 donor board.

Comment

Not really needed schematic for LIO board to check SYS_ONEWIRE circuit.
          Easy to locate the two 5 pins chips there.
          Then compare with U6900/01 from 3115 board; or same circuit from available LIO schematic.
          In fact, start checking voltage on Magsafe central pin (LIO board) and SYS_ONEWIRE line from MLB; you must get the same voltage.

8.1V points to SMC issue.
          Disconnect LIO flex, keep only 5 pins DC cable connected.
          Still 8.1V?
          Try to reflow SMC, better reballing it.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X