No backlight on LCD - 820-3437 Macbook Air

patrickribbsaeter

No backlight on LCD - 820-3437 Macbook Air.. Its been water damaged.

Where to start.

The motherboard starts. I have green light and fan spin. The apple logo on LCD cannot be seen. The screen is black.'
Where to start now?

Attachments

• photo1915.jpg
    photo1915.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0

patrickribbsaeter

Shine a light through the Apple logo do you even get image? Does the board even chime?

1. No apple logo when adding light to the screen. The screen is pitch black still.
2. I get chime when pushing start button. And the apple logo on the back of the LCD is lit. But not front.
3. L7701 (I have 8,5 Voltage). On Diode mode I have 0.384.
4. C7710 (resistance mode I get 0.428) and Voltage mode 5.12V)

Last edited:

Gmorb

so you get backlight but no image since you state the apple logo lights up. try a known good screen check lvds cable for damage. any damage on lvds connector itself?

patrickribbsaeter

so you get backlight but no image since you state the apple logo lights up. try a known good screen check lvds cable for damage. any damage on lvds connector itself?

NO apple logo at all.. The screen is black.. Im following some examples now from step by step: REWA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7_paJiwMO8

Will reply shortly after my finds.

I have: PPVIN_S0SW_LCDBKLT - R7731: pin1: 5.1v - pin2: 0.6v (Should be: Pin1: 8.5v, Pin2: 2.8v) According to REWA.
I have: PPVIN_S0SW_LCDBKLT - R7715: pin1: 18.5v - pin2: 00.00v (Should be i guess here same: Pin1: 8.5v, Pin2: 2.8v) ???

On: EDP_BKLT_PWM - R7704: I get 1.7v on both pins. (Should be 3.3v on both pins)

What should I do now, change the resistors or could it be a bad U7701..?

Last edited:

Gmorb

measure those resistors first if they are good then check u7701 on pin 5 sometimes feedback ball will be missing then you'll know you must replace the led driver and run wires. Either way if i were you id inspect the board and replace or reflow and clean anything that looks badly corroded and damaged before you go measuring. try reflowing led driver as well.

patrickribbsaeter

measure those resistors first if they are good then check u7701 on pin 5 sometimes feedback ball will be missing then you'll know you must replace the led driver and run wires. Either way if i were you id inspect the board and replace or reflow and clean anything that looks badly corroded and damaged before you go measuring. try reflowing led driver as well.

Measure the resistors.. Do i need to take them off the board first? Because ive now measured them whilst on the board with voltage..

patrickribbsaeter

disconnect power from the board and measure them on the board. no need to remove them.

1. Ok, thanks. Should it be diode mode? Resistance mode correct?
No worries. I found it on ifixit how to do it https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+To+...r/25632#s65006

2. reflow U7701 and LED driver.. How much temperature?

Ok. So now ive check the resistors: R7731 & R7715

R7731 Shows 120k (should be in schematic 200k), R7715 shows 99.6k (in schematic it says 100K, so that one is ok).

That means R7731 needs to be changed?

Last edited:

Gmorb

no r7731 is ok if it was higher than the rated resistance then yes it would be bad. make sure you reflow the led driver until you see it move (dance around) add a good amount of flux. i always have my hot air station at 400 degrees and 80 for air. whatever works for you though.

make sure you check if ball on pin 5 is even there.

patrickribbsaeter

no r7731 is ok if it was higher than the rated resistance then yes it would be bad. make sure you reflow the led driver until you see it move (dance around) add a good amount of flux. i always have my hot air station at 400 degrees and 80 for air. whatever works for you though.

make sure you check if ball on pin 5 is even there.

Thanks u for helping me out really.. im very greatful.. Love to fix my first board.. Im going to stay on this thread until we have solved this board.. Will be my first.. hope thats ok with you?

Ive checked pin 5, the ball is still there under when lookin in the microscope. but its hard to measure it, since its under the IC.

1. Ok, i start reflow the LED driver first and then we see next step. back in a bit.. Ps. How do I find the LED DRIVER?? :)

U7701 is the LED driver.. I found this video of louis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhu4WyQZAA

Last edited:

Gmorb

check if you get an image or backlight. if you still dont get an image either an apple logo or flashing folder by flashing light onto the apple logo on the back of the screen then check continuity on pin 18/19 of lvds connector and pin 2 of L8304 and check voltages on pin 18/19 of lvds as well.

Last edited:

patrickribbsaeter

check if you get an image or backlight.

I checked. Still NO light on screen or image.

1. Could it be the bad Diode(D7701) since its measuring 0v..? Its should measure 0v right, since its a diode.. :) Im stupid sometimes..
2. Could it be the reflow not properly done?

I can feel we are several step closer though to get it working. Just need to lock down where the issue is. The laptop is coming on perfect. Ive tried with two working lcd screens. So its not the screen themself. Its the motherboard somewhere..

patrickribbsaeter

check if you get an image or backlight. if you still dont get an image either an apple logo or flashing folder by flashing light onto the apple logo on the back of the screen then check continuity on pin 18/19 of lvds connector and pin 2 of L8304 and check voltages on pin 18/19 of lvds as well.

Ok, im going to chekc it now. hold on pls. thx