iPhone "SEARCHING"

Tony Tone

Anyone good at the searching issue? I don't even know where I should start and see this often. (Usually they are from hard drops). I tried to reflow some chips but ended up fucking the phones I've tried off, and all just guess work. I don't like working like that, LOL. I know Jason knows this shit, LOL.

Last edited:

aprendiz

There is a lot components involved on signal function, try reball the biggest ones first

1.- Baseband CPU
2.- Baseband PMU..

Not reflow!!!, the original solder is a POS...

Tony Tone

Hmmm... I'll probably probe around those areas and see what I see. Thank you. It's a good place to start : ) Thank you for some direction. Didn't know baseband has its own CPU.

Dmitry

Hmmm... I'll probably probe around those areas and see what I see. Thank you. It's a good place to start : ) Thank you for some direction. Didn't know baseband has its own CPU.

If you are talking about iPhone 6 and 6+, they have typical issue of 2 pins coming off in the conner on baseband chip. That causing iPhone to see IMEI but says searching.
So reflow is only temporary fix, reball is the way to go, you will have to make 2 jumpers.

Also if it is iPhone 5s,5c it could be due to baseband pmu. check power rails that are leaving baseband pmu. As a proffecional with years of expertise in this filed i would not recommend reflowing baseband pmu. Because there is good chance you will over heat modem baseband that has underfill, thus increasing work for your self. so that being said, best practice is removing, and reballing with leaded solder past or balls, then install it.

But most important tell us if you see IMEI thought the settings general>about>IMEI

Last edited:

Tony Tone

I was posting the question because I see it a lot here and there and just dumbfounded on what to do or where to start. I have one that is i6 and a 6+. Turns out the 6 is ok with a different SIM, & the 6+ is back with customer (using on wifi), waiting for his return. I will definitely follow-up and re-reference this when this comes up. Thank you a million guys ! I do have questions on those jumper locations and other questions I know that I will have once I get the phone back -LOL. Eager to start learning about this section of the phone : )

With a little direction and a starting point I hope to figure it out : )

orenlazimi

If you are talking about iPhone 6 and 6+, they have typical issue of 2 pins coming off in the conner on baseband chip. That causing iPhone to see IMEI but says searching.
So reflow is only temporary fix, reball is the way to go, you will have to make 2 jumpers.

Also if it is iPhone 5s,5c it could be due to baseband pmu. check power rails that are leaving baseband pmu. As a proffecional with years of expertise in this filed i would not recommend reflowing baseband pmu. Because there is good chance you will over heat modem baseband that has underfill, thus increasing work for your self. so that being said, best practice is removing, and reballing with leaded solder past or balls, then install it.

But most important tell us if you see IMEI thought the settings general>about>IMEI

Hi Dmitry,

can you explain a bit more about those 2 pins which comes off?
and can you tell which pads exactly should be jumpered under the baseband ic?

i also heard something before about ripping out 2 pads... i'm looking for a good explanation
before i try...

i'm trying to fix an iphone 6 with no service / searching issue

*#06# not giving imei back, on "about" you can find
network - not available
imei appears good
modem firmware appears good 5.32.00

thanks!

Tony Tone

On this particular phone I'm working on right now, yes I see the IMEI.
Could you elaborate on these jumpers you were talking about?

How can you test if the baseband CPU is faulty? Can it be done with these test points? They test them in the factory some how I imagine, right?