820-02098 5v only, boots when battery connected

Hello. I got a 820-02098 that had physical damage to U8100 by whoever previously attempted to worked on this. PP3V8_AON was shorted to ground because of this. Also had a short on PPBUS_AON which ended up being caused by C9222 exploding on the board. I replaced C9222, U8100 and some caps around it, and both shorts were gone. When I connect the charger, I get only 5v up to 240ma for a second or two, and then it drops to 5v 50ma for a few seconds and then it starts that cycle again. All ports have the same symptoms. I put the board back in the case and connected the battery and it still stuck at 5v, but now the amps go up to 900ma and the board turns on and boots to the OS. Seems to run perfectly fine when the battery is connected, even without the charger. With the charger and battery connected, it does not charge or show that the charger is connected at all. I checked all current sense circuits for the ISL and they are fine. There is no liquid damage or any other noticeable signs of physical damage near the CD3217's. Need some help.

With Charger only (5v, No boot)
PPBUS_AON - 12V
PP3V8_AON - 3.799V
PP3V3_AON - 3.298V
CHGR_INT_L - 1.22V
CHGR_AUX_DET - 1.28V
CHGR_AUX_DET_3V3 - 0V
CHRG_INT_1V8_L - 1.799V
UPC_I2C_INT_L - 0V

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"UPC_I2C_INT_L - 0V"
Do you have a problem on charging ports.
Tested with Magsafe 3 and USB-C charger too?

Yes I tested with 140w USB-C charger and Magsafe 3 cable. Both give me the same symptoms. I do not find any shorts around CD3217's and all of them look clean. I tested with the computer booted on battery and all USB-C ports read my USB drive correctly, so not sure which CD3217 could be the issue. I may have to start replacing them one by one tomorrow and see what happens.

I replaced all the CD3217 chips and reflashed all 4 rom chips for the CD3217's, but still had the same issue. I was checking in diode mode on the debug connectors JG200 and JF200 and noticed different diode mode reading for some lines that were supposed to be the same. This lead me to finding broken traces on I2C_SMC_UPC_SCL, I2C_SMC_UPC_SDA and UPC_SMC_I2C_INT_L, so the three CD3217 chips on the left side were not connected to the M1 CPU or the other CD3217 on the other side. I ran 3 wires from J5101 to JF200 and now the board gives me 20v with just the charger on all 4 ports and charges the battery. Hopefully this may help someone else in the future.