2014 macbook air, turning off randomly, now not turning on at att

peterfixit

6 months ago customer spilled water on macbook, a week ago he tells me its shutting down sometimes, I ran a stress test and found the cpu was hitting 99c and throttling but I couldnt get it to shut down, I replaced the TIM and the fan, seemed to work, the next day customer says it doing the same thing, I start it it doesnt boot at all, the fan spins twice (sometimes) but doesnt spin a third time. original repair report is attached

-----inspection report----------
no green light
jtag corrosion
corrosion on U8130
corrosion between c7323 and c7324
corrosion on q7630
heavy corrosion u6100
corrosion u3510
corrosion q8150
corrosion u1845
corrosion u7840
corrosion u5540
corrosion u5620
--------------dc-in board report---------------
dc-in flex cable corroded, dc-in side
dc-in board corroded around connector
-------------repair report------------------------
jtag removed
200ohms@c7624
ultrasonic-alcohol-oven
no green light
fan spin 1.7 S0_cpu present
folder icon over thunderbolt
no backlight no display
SMC_LID 2.2VOLTS
replace dc-in board
------------------AFTER PARTS REPLACEMENT-------------
green light
fan spin
backlight + lcd present

peterfixit

@louis test points look fine, none broken, a little dark but in decent condition, u6100 to all surrounding resistors is good
@duke this was repaired and ultrasonicd 6 months ago and worked perfectly since then

dukefawks

Administrator
Yes, 6 months is a nice amount of time for corrosion to get conductive. No U/S treatment will remove corrosion from under BGA chips!

peterfixit

ok a reflow of the smc means its not running again, dont know if its still going to randomly shutdown
duke, can you please tell me how you came up with the smc so i can learn from this

dukefawks

Administrator
Experience is all. Any time there is corrosion anywhere near the SMC you can bet your ass it got under it too.