820-000164 No power

ALB-Repairs

Hi, have an 820-000164 here ive been scratching my head over.

The bios area had corrosion so i replaced a couple of resistors and the SPI chip, finely got it posting and running gave it to my tech to test, he said that the keyboard and mouse only worked in OSX, he did a pram reset and now the machine is stuck in S5 with no SUS EN DSW_PWRDGD is present PM_BATLOW is present, im getting real confused.

ALB-Repairs

sorry, that is present, 3v3_Sus is only 30ohm to ground which seems all wrong, removed allsorts on that rail and not had any resistance change.any ideas?

dukefawks

Administrator
30 ohm short will be hard to track down. You can try heat/cool areas of the board and see if the resistance changes.

ALB-Repairs

Ive already tried the heat method and strangely enough i didnt get anywhere- usually it is fantastic. Ive ran round the schematic on the pp3v3_sus line checking everything its connected too. theres no other rails that could cause it thats connected via a 32ohm resistor unfortunately.

Ive removed all Active chips apart from the PCH (for obvious reasons on these boards)
Ive removed some of the passive components however its super rare that capacitors would go 30ohm short.

Thinking im digging too deep and should give up.
Got any final ideas?

ALB-Repairs

Yeah thats what im thinking, it also booted once with no keyboard and mouse and as said failed after PRAM reset which all ties together to created a good suspicion.
You ever had any success reworking these things, Every time i pull a CPU of a donor board i get mega chip flex, ive managed to get one replace once but the victory was shortlived. New chips are stupid expensive too. :/