820-00164-a Liquid damage Boots but no green light no charging

I have a liquid damaged 820-00164-a board here
computer boots, does not charge battery.
no green/orange light

was not booting, cleaned up r7005 area where there was corrosion, also corrosion near f7140
f7140 showing .3ohms may be hardware resolution

ppdcin_g3h_chgr 14.8v
ppdcin no short to ground
isl6259 area untouched by liquid
ppvbat_g3h_chgr_r Stable at 8.6
chgr_bgate not stable stable at 8.6 for about a second then falls off and takes about 10 seconds to bee stable for another moment

am i looking at a dead isl?
or am i possibly gettting bad info to the isl making chgr_bgate jumping up and down?

I was afraid of that, this is one of the io boards, i do not have, but i have one on order. will post back if i have any further issues after that gets in.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
if you want to cheat you can do the following.

1) study what MAX9940 & TC7SZ08FEAPE look like on ANY unibody board from 2010-present or any retina board besides 12" macbook.
2) look at your DC in board and identify these two.
3) run PP3V42_G3H, SMC_BC_ACOK, and SYS_ONEWIRE via jumper wires from the mainboard to the DC in board.

Don't do this as a final fix, but it is a way of testing if it works. The airs use the same onewire circuit as the unibodies and retinas do, the chips are interchangeable, the pinouts are the same.

Louis! That is a great Cheat! I will have to try it next time, I did get lucky and it was just corrosion on ppbus_g3hot and a bad i/o board. Now i need to order another one to keep one for testing purposes.