820-00164 (Fast fan, No SSD detected)

ALB-Repairs

Was liquid. Was cleaned, repaired backlight.

I now have fast fans and it doesn't recognise any ssd (tested with known good ones)
I really dont know where to look. SSD gets power.ect, entire circuit looks fine, no components ripped off/corroded.

Also oddly enough i cant get it to boot selection or diagnostics. Im starting to suspect the SMC, reflowing it however has made no difference.
Checked the entire board for clues under a microscope and couldnt see anything abnormal.

I really dont know where to start.

dukefawks

Administrator
Can you boot internal diagnostics from USB? If it doesn't get to the question mark how do you know it is not recognizing the SSD?

ALB-Repairs

Hi.
I cannot get to boot selection via the alt key, and the D key does not respond when it powers on. I have not yet tried with a USB keyboard as the internal components are known good parts.

It gets to question mark, i have managed to boot it to an installer but it was running slow.
So obviously there is a sensor error (probably temperature).

I will have a bit more of a fiddle when im next in the workshop

peterfixit

yep and it will say, oops theres a problem, take me to an apple store. take it to an apple store, we cant fix it need to replace logic board

ALB-Repairs

got it to run diagnosis. It seems in EFI the trackpads not working (sometimes i can get a bit of vertical movement), But im sure it worked in a 10.12 installer
Said there was also an issue with SSD storage but thats to be expected.

Ive started inspecting the tpad_SPI lines.ect but i can confirm this is a good trackpad and is 100% a board fault.

SMMRepair

Might be a dumb question, but have you made sure you're testing the board in a 2013-2015 casing and not a 2012 casing? The trackpads and KB/TP cables are not compatible across 2012 and 2013-15. This wouldn't affect the SSD issue, however, but it could explain some of the other issues.

ALB-Repairs

Yes im sure its in a good casing... the correct year.ect

I reflashed the EFI on the motherboard, it kept failing to erase the chip at a certain address. So i ended up fitting a different chip and reprogramming it (with a clean ME Region)

It didnt make a bit of difference though.
This board is driving me mad.

dukefawks

Administrator
Need to know some stuff for sure.
Does the trackpad/keyboard work in the boot menu?
Does the trackpad/keyboard work when booted from USB into OSX?

ALB-Repairs

Right
Keyboard only occasionally works in boot menu
Trackpad Jumpy as hell in boot menu

Keyboard and trackpad work in OSX perfectly.

Since installing an SSD and re-running diagnosis it just gives the generic 'there may be a problem with your SMC'

dukefawks

Administrator
Only thing I can say is checking all pins of trackpad connector for continuity to the trackpad, check all voltages and also on diode mode.