820-00164 no charging

mobajer

Hello everybody, I have slightly water damaged MacBook Air 820-00164, all board is cleaned and all works, despite charging.

I have changed: ISL6259HRTZ and also same resistors near it.

it works from battery, for example 77%, but when charger attached, it immediately shows 100% and charging symbol, really isn't charging. Also there is no light on charger. also Mac works only from charger.

I/O board is good, flex between audio board and main board is also good.

I need advice, how to find the cause? what signal is responsible fo battery % control?

mobajer

Tested with good IO board and flex, still same, no green/orange light. Mac shows 100% and charging symbol on battery.

dukefawks

Administrator
Voltage on the middle pin of the charger when plugged in? I suspect 3V42 not making it to the IO board. Inspect connector if there is no 3V on the middle pin.

mobajer

yes I have changed IO board and now it chargers, green-->orange light comes. voltage of battery increases.

Last edited:

mobajer

the problem with charging solved:) perfect! but now I can't turn on the mac, what signals should I check?

Last edited:

mobajer

yes, it was... but it had lot corrosion on logic board, during repair process it was ultrasonically cleaned. so finally charging solved with IO. but no issue with powering on.

Last edited:

mobajer

cooler tries to spin, but nothing more. its only charger attached, without battery.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
That is the usual quarter fan spin. Could be many things but the common ones are corrosion under U1950, U1900. Corroded traces/resistors in the data lines to U6100.

mobajer

No Title

I have changed ±30 resistors and GonG!! Mac started :) perfect feeling... Thank You very much for help.

for future repairs:

do you prefer ultrasonic cleaning or better avoid it? I believe I have cleaned to long, about 30mins. liquid was fresh, but lot resistors damaged, I believe also intact ones became faulty.

Attachments

• photo1584.jpg
    photo1584.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

mobajer

is it true if SMC ic would be failed, impossible to repair, because it is programable and nobody can't do that?