820-00165 Not booting completely. No power on pins 5 and 6 of SPI ROM

bjf

I get a little pulse after applying power but then it goes to 0V. This board was working and then stopped booting. I know this was a liquid spill, but I don't see any signs of damage. Any idea what would cause those two pins to lose power? Area around U6100 looks good. I've checked continuity and resistors around and leading into the area.

bjf

Ha, no, dead short on the CPU is not going to get me too far. No, this is just one of the many Air boards in the queue.

bjf

PPVCC_S0_CPU is measuring a steady 1.8V. Pin 8 on U1950 looks good and is measuring 3.4V.

bjf

Yes, USB mouse is lighting up. This was booting, passed testing and was on it's way out when it failed.

bjf

I get much more than that. It actually starts to boot and then moves very slowly once the progress bar gets close to the end. It never actually finishes booting, just hangs in that state of almost-booting.

dukefawks

Administrator
I thought this thing wasn't even booting. Did you boot of a known good USB drive? PRAM reset? Was the SPI chip ever messed with?

bjf

Yeah, good USB test drive. Used it to boot up on another computer right after this just to make sure. SPI chip wasn't messed with. Not much was done to the board. It's been a while but I think it was an ultrasonic-only fix. I can't see where I did any work on it. And I can't see any sign of a spill, but I know it was a spill. PRAM reset didn't change anything.

bjf

Yes, I just ran it again with everything plugged in. Online of Offline, it says No Issues Found Reference Code ADP000.

dukefawks

Administrator
I have no idea about this one. Could be corrosion anywhere. Usually boot issues like this are corrosion around CPU power supply or SMC.