820-00239 - Fully Functional except no audio

bjf

Slight liquid-damage on an A1706. Area around a CPU chip was slightly corroded. Ultrasonic got it going, but no audio. No audio device showing up in Audio hardware system information. Audio system preferences is not showing any devices for Output or Input. Headphone jack does nothing also. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo1011.jpg
    photo1011.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • photo1012.jpg
    photo1012.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • photo1013.jpg
    photo1013.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo1014.jpg
    photo1014.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
there is often some inductor that blows between audio IC & power rail, but...finding hat without schematic or boardview on a totally new design... good luck with that.

It will usually be visibly blown, burned, have a tiny hole in the middle, or have a small solder ball next to it. Only thing to do is to look.

bjf

Thanks, yeah, I'm familiar with that inductor on other models and how it likes to blow. I've been trying to find it. Right now I'm trying to determine where the audio circuit is.

bjf

Does anyone have any ideas where the audio section might be on this board? I'm kind of stuck. The pictures above are pre-ultrasonic cleaning so that's all the clues I'm working with.

wrbailey

According to an ifixit teardown, in your first photo, the upper right hand of the board, the IC is the Cirrus Logic CS42L83A Audio Codec... I'd start there...