820-01700 no power

Kyle93

This arrived with no power. When plugged in you get the low battery symbol but nothing else. No liquid damage. PPBUS_G3H is 12.80V. PPDCIN_G3H is not shorted.

Read on another post battery is not required for this board. When battery is disconnected the board only goes up to 0.20amps and drops down to 0.02. No backlight on screen like when battery is connected.

Tried DFU restore which completely successfully since data was backed up prior to failure but no changes.

What should be checked next?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Without battery, all USB-C ports have the same behavior?

140W is the charger recommended by Apple for this model, but even 87W must charge the battery.

Kyle93

When battery is plugged in it will go up to 2.50amps before dropping to 0.02 when low battery icon appears on the screen

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
test the board alone on the desk, only charger connected.
Check if VCORE still goes off, or remains around 0.5-0.6V aprox.

Use 96/140W charger...

Kyle93

Board alone on desk with only charger connected VCORE remains at 0v

If battery is connected, vcore is 0.780V before dropping to 0v in a few seconds

Using 96W apple charger

I have worked on a few on these 820-01700, and have found that some will boot without the battery (it will be slow and have high fan spin) and some do not boot at all without a battery, and only shows a low battery symbol. I have no idea why this is though. I actually have one of these now that boots without a battery.

I have worked on a few on these 820-01700, and have found that some will boot without the battery (it will be slow and have high fan spin) and some do not boot at all without a battery, and only shows a low battery symbol. I have no idea why this is though. I actually have one of these now that boots without a battery.
Can confirm. I have one in front of me that does nothing on the bench (20v, 0.07A), but when connected to a battery just boots.