820-2610A Power off on apparent heavy loads, restarts after 15-20 tries

Wingspinner

No water damage. If the system is shutdown it takes 15-20 tries to get it to complete a reboot. You press the power button and it starts to boot for a few seconds and then shuts down. Then you press the power button again the white LED comes on for a fraction of a second, the fans start to spin and then shutsdown then you press power button again and it stays on longer while starting to boot. Each tiime you cycle through that sequence it stays on a bit longer until finally it will get through the boot process, blank and restore the screen and then fully boot. It seems to help if an external harddrive with it's own powersupply is connected. It will often shutdown when starting the photos app. If you shut it down manually you must go through the same process as above to get it to boot.

Have tried disconnecting display, wifi, swapping out drives (thinking drive might be pulling too much current), and battery. New battery. Not clear if resetting SMC helps or not in the above process.

Other than this problem works perfectly. Haven't found the exact schematics for this mb it's a "mid-2009" 17" MacBookPro5,2 3.06GHz and apple doesn't even show this model for SMC updates on their webiste - only the "early-2009". Looking at other board schematics and it's behavior feels like it's sensing excess current and shutting down. I see people on various forums with similar symptoms and some appeared to solve the problem with an SMC firmware update but I have another exact same system with same SMC firmware that works fine. I'm guessing a bad solder joint on one of the resistors used for current sensing or maybe a marginal cap since it boots after many tries. I need to find the correct schematics for sure but any hints? Has anyone seen this set of symptoms before?

Thanks,

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
C7771 problem, I have a post on the forum about this and also a video I linked in that post with the solution. long story short put a standar dcap in place of c7771 do not use a tantalum and yes it will require creative board remodeling to fit it

Wingspinner

Thanks so much. I did a search for this board number and looked through every topic on the forum but somehow overlooked the post you mention. I'll search for C7771 and take a look at the video. THANK YOU!!! Have watched some of your videos. Your are truly an amazing young man. Thanks for all you do!