820-2796 - Does not boot inside of casing - Does POST/Chime outside of casing

smiba

Hey everyone,

I'm probably doing something incredibly stupid but I just can't seem to figure it out! Every time I place this Macbook Air 11" 2010 motherboard back in its casing it does no longer respond to SMC_ONOFF_L. I can pull it down but the system will not post. Just lifting the side of the motherboard with the connectors (USB etc.) a little bit up from the casing will make it respond to SMC_ONOFF_L again and it will Chime. Letting it back down does not make the device power off and it will stay in S0, but once it goes back to S5 it will not come out of it again unless you lift the motherboard up. If the system is in S0 and you put it down it won't power off if you keep SMC_ONOFF_L shorted either, its like the signal does not arrive to the SMC anymore at all.
This is tested both with a bunch of cables plugged in, such as speakers and display as without anything plugged in other then the fan and I/O cable to the magsafe board. (Same setup as on the bench). It will always post and respond to SMC_ONOFF_L outside of the casing, on the bench

Most logical explanation would be that a signal is shorting to ground through the casing, but I just can not find what part in the world might be touching the casing! Anyone has any experience or idea what might be causing it? Its driving me nuts

Cheers

Last edited: