820-2850-A Kernel Panics when battery is connected.

CleverTech

Hi there.
We have a 820-2850-A that kernel panics when battery is connected.
We've tried batteries and all external peripherals for eg: ram, trackpad fans (having all of these disconnected) with no luck.
Board runs great with everything without battery plugged in.

Attempted replacement bios, smc, keyboard controller, reflowed pch still receiving same issue.

At a loss and would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
C9560 is the usual cause of kernel panics here. Replace with non-tantalum. It will require some jerry rigging to fit it.

CleverTech

Hey guys, just tried two other caps on C9560 same thing.
I've searched the internet to help me understand what tantalum. I see that there is ceramic based caps and there is difference in polarities between both of them.
I'm not sure how to reference ceramic based caps and tantalum.

I'm not sure if I'm in the ball park I'm supposed to be in but a little more help would be super appreciated.

dukefawks

Administrator
Use a regular size 330u cap not one that is also dead from a donor board. Cannot read the kernel panic.......

CleverTech

No Title

Attachments

• photo161.jpg
    photo161.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo162.jpg
    photo162.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo163.jpg
    photo163.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo164.jpg
    photo164.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
Kernel task is crashing so this one is not GPU related. Only thing I can still suggest is to try one RAM slot at a time. Besides that I am out of ideas for this one.

JorgePayar

As Duke says could be because of the memory
Other options:

1 Check battery connectors
2 Install clean OS X
3 Reset PRAM and SMC

Did you try efi ASD?

What I have read now:

"820-2850 also have rampant kernel panics due to issues with VRAM, pgood signals and other that is too much to mention here. Short story before dan calls my sentence noise, 820-2850 is junk to be avoided at all costs"

Last edited:

CleverTech

Hey Guys,
went back into it and replaced with 330u cap but issue persisted.
tried ram slot 1 at a time same.
ASD passes once battery is not plugged in but if battery is plugged in machine kernel panics prior to boot.
Tried hardware SMC and manual PRAM SMC as well but didn't help.

I'll have this one set aside if anyone else has any ideas I'll give it a shot. Thanks again guys.