820-2879 Graphic Problem Bad Ram Slot

I️ think I️ know where this board is headed, but I️ just want to be sure as this is a weird issue. It’s a mid 2010 13” that gets weird black blocks on the screen and other graphic anamolies, and the ram all by the keyboard is bad. ASD gives Error 60 Video Controller Failure. The problem persists with know good ram in the top slot. When looking around the ram slot for stuck pins etc, I️ checked PP3V3_S0 for grins and found that it is only 3.17 V and shorted to ground. I️ have not gone through and checked everything that is on the rail but with the fact of the video controller failure and the MCP getting much hotter than the CPU after being on a few seconds is it a probable that the 3V3 rail is shorted under the MCP?

Apoloies for the weird characters seems the wonderous iPhone cannot type the capital letter i anymore!!

Gurmon

The MCP89 is failing. Heat it up to see if it improves the graphics. If it does time to retire this board.

dukefawks

Administrator
Screw ASD. If the machine runs good on the working slot ignore the ASD video error. You must use PC8500 RAM only. If there are still video issues the board is trash.