820-2914-B band of colours during startup then reboot

About halfway through startup a horizontal narrow band of colours appears about an eighth of the way from the top of the screen and then it reboots. A workshop I use for iPhone board repairs helped diagnose it over the phone and after disabling AMD GPU and seeing it work on the slow Intel GPU, said this would need a GPU replacement so I paid them to do it as I don't have a BGA machine. However, it has made no difference whatsoever.

The lower RAM slot doesn't work. I have tried known good RAM chips in the upper slot as well as disconnecting everything but the bare minimum.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Damn. There's definitely no chance it could be anything else at all? I've seen many different symptoms of bad GPU and to see exactly the same symptom after a GPU replacement does seem like quite a coincidence don't you think?

dukefawks

Administrator
No this is a bad GPU like always. If you have no way to replace these then 95% of 2914/2915 boards are unfixable for you as it is always the GPU.

The symptoms I'm having seem to resemble the ones in this post: https://www.rossmanngroup.com/boards...pu-replacement

The glue was not removed from the memory chips on the other side of the board when the GPU was removed.

What is needed for reflowing the memory chips temperature-wise? Will I need a profile with a BGA machine or can I just blast the hot air station onto it with some flux?

dukefawks

Administrator
If you have no BGA machine you have no business even touching this board. The GPU needs to be replaced to start with.

The point is, I paid somebody to replace the GPU and when the board came back it was doing exactly the same as it was when I sent it to them. So my question is: Is there something more than the GPU that could be causing the problem, i.e., the GPU RAM? But regardless of everything, is it not fair that I can ask the question: If I want to reflow the RAM, is there a specific temperature profile I need to adhere to or can I just pre-heat the board and reflow with flux as I would do any other chip?

dukefawks

Administrator
1134 is a chip from 2011 week 34, so I bet they just reflowed or reballed the old one that was on there. Get your money back and forget about this project.