820-3115-B not turning on

Fizzl92

Hello,
sorry for my bad english. I have a Problem with a 320-3115-B. It has a green light on the charger but wont turn on. I measured the powerrails and noticed, that PP3V42_G3H is 3,62V. I thought that my multimeter could be a little of but PPBUS_G3H is exakt 12,60V. This board had waterdamage but looks very clean overall. I also noticed, that PP3V3_S0 is there but most other S0 rails like PP1V5_S0, PP1V8_S0 or PP1V05_S0 are missing. These are all shorted to groung and i can not find where the short is. Another thing that i noticed is that U1800 is getting a little warm. Means this, that U1800 is shorting the S0 rails to ground or is it only still reciving power anr trying to work? The last and strangest thing i noticed is, that it makes a silent beeping sound in the U1800 areea if its getting power. It sonds like a damaged HDD with a litle click every second. I tryed to attach the sound file to this post (.m4a/.mp3) but it says invalid file. I´m not sure if this file is needed but if i can provide it.
Is there any hope to save this board or is it already dead?
Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
Felix

Fizzl92

Hello,
i checked P1V5S0_EN (it is there) and exchanged U7770. Now PP1V5_S0 is there. But PP1V8_S0 is 0,341V and PP1V05_S0 is 0,0V. I check these for faults too. The CPU is not getting warm at all. I also noticed that the "height" of the sound changes if i measure on L6995 (PP3V42_G3H which is 3,6V) and also changes and even stops (and than green light turns off) if i randomly press somewhere on the board.

Fizzl92

Update:
I already got, that PP1V8_S0 is shortet and thats why PP1V05_S0 is not there. The short is in pin 2 of L7760 and the diode mode reading is 0,069V, but FB, C7762, C7763 and C7772 are ok. R7760 and R7761 are 6,7Kohm. I assume thats fine. If i put 1V up to 1,8V on L7760 its using max. 0,08A and nothing gets warm.

dukefawks

Administrator
I am traveling this week so I have no board at hand to compare, 0.07 seems way too low though. Do you have a board to compare?

Fizzl92

No problem, it´s amazing and incredible helpful that a place like this exists so a few days dont matter for me. I´m sure on both of my two boards is at least one component of almost every circuit missing but i see if i can rebuild it on one of them for a measurement. If i can get a comparisson i´ll let you know. I think that it is to low too because pin 1 of L7760 measures ~0,41V which is in the dimension of many working circuits in my experience... Come back to this if you have time and a board for it :). Thank you!

dukefawks

Administrator
1V8 all goes to CPU, so resistance to GND will depend on your CPU model so 0.07 is possible maybe. Check if P1V8S0_EN is there, if yes replace U7760.

Fizzl92

P1V8S0_EN is 3,232V. I replaced U7760 two times and nothing happens. P1V8S0_EN stays 3,232V both times and the beeping sound is also still there. Can i send power to the board with L7760 removed or will it kill the board. If possible i could measure if PP1V8_S0 is created at pin 1 of L7760, right? Because as i removed L7760 the short only seems to be only on Pin 2. Pin 1 of L7760 was ~0,41V. Or are i searching in the wrong section?

dukefawks

Administrator
Well this would point to an overload in 1V8 and it only goes to the CPU. So bad CPU is likely, unless you want to swap a CPU this board is toast.

Fizzl92

Ok, thank you very much for your help and fast replys. This is maybe not the best result but it is a solution and a ensurance for me that i don´t throw something reparable away.
All the best,
Felix