820-3115 No backlight - missing LCD_BKLT_EN

dukefawks

Administrator
Check if pin 4 6 and 7 actually have continuity to the LCD side of the cable. Also check SMC_LID again to be 100% sure

ytesfay80

Ok. So before checking for continuity I decided to flip the cable connecting to the lcd upside down and now I am getting 3.31v on Pins 2 & 3 and the lcd is working but there is no backlight(saw questionmark folder with flashlight) so I will troubleshoot this issue. Thanks for the help if I need anymore I'll reply on this thread.

ytesfay80

I am getting 12.5v on L9701 as well as D9701 and the output of C9799 is a constant 12.5v and in diode mode C9799 measures 0.579 on output. I replaced C9797/C9799 weeks ago as they had some corrosion so I don't think that could be the issue.
BKLT_PLT_RST_L and LCD_BKLT_EN both show 3.3v.
I checked the feedback line of the U9701 LED Driver and it doesn't look burned but I do have a several LP8550's that I can replace it with.
Is this likely a LED Driver issue?

Last edited:

ytesfay80

dukefawks larossmann Ok so a bunch of confusing stuff has happened since I reflowed the LED Driver. I reflowed it to see if it would work before having to replace it and after reflowing I was getting 12v on pin 3 of Q9706 and Q9707 which is too high and no voltage on the output pins of Q9706.

I replaced Q9707 but that made no difference.

I replaced R9788 and R9789 even though they measured correct resistance because I thought that was causing pin 3 of Q9707 to be so high. I didnt have a donor board for this model so I took the resistors from a 820-3209 that had the same resistance but 1/20w instead of 1/16w(don't know if that is a big issue.)

Now after replacing those resistors I no longer have LCD_BKLT_EN and once again the board isn't seeing the lcd as there is no voltage on Pins 2/3 of the lcd connector and Pin 1(LCD_IG_PWR_EN) of U9000.

The lcd cable and connector look fine so I don't know what could have happened.

ytesfay80

dukefawks larossmann
Its been a few weeks now and I have tested this board with 2 screens (one used and one new AU Optronics B133EW07) and 2 different lcd cables.
I also replaced the lcd connector and I gave this board an ultrasonic cleaning.
Is there anything else I can check for? [h=1][/h]

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
this honestly sounds like a clunker at this point. either bad PCH or some broken via inside the board. if you want to torture yourself, this is the board to do it on.