820-3209-A - Fan spins high.

gcain

Customer said laptop was in cupboard for a few months. Laptop is suspiciously clean...
MagSafe gets Green & Orange light.

Fan doesn't do the start-stop-start-stop thing; it just turns on then slowly spins faster and faster till it reaches warp-speed.

No backlight or any other signs of life.

I don't even know where to start looking; 99% of my repairs are dead or liquid damage.

gcain

PP3v3_S0 = 3v3
PP3V3_S0_HS_COMPUTING_ISNS = 3v274 - 3v28. always moving.
PP3v3_SUS = 3v330
PP1v8_S0 = 1v78

R7402::1 = 360mV
R7402::2 = 8v39

PPVCORE_S0_CPU: 0.816
PPVCORE_S0_CPU_PH1 = 0.822
PPVCORE_S0_AXG = 0;

gcain

i ment louis, its 2am there,, if it was me id change r7402 or check voltage on working board

I thought it was an odd question. lol

I don't have a board to test with. It measures right, I think U7400 might be pulling it low?

gcain

It wouldn't be the resistor pulling it down, wouldn't U7400 be pulling it down?

Just to check my thought process;
That's why R7402::2 is higher than R7402::1. The resister is restricting the flow, allowing the difference.
If R7402 had 0 resistance (just for example), then voltage would be the same both sides and some component further up the ::2 side of the line would be getting hot.

Board looks spotless.

dukefawks

Administrator
Fan ramping up is just that the CPU is not running. This one is going to suck probably. I would first try a known good BIOS chip, besides that there is not much you can do if it is not a liquid damage. Save the original BIOS file!

gcain

Is it possible to buy the header clip for the diagnostic port?

Would make flashing the bios a lot quicker if I could build a little adapter for it.

dukefawks

Administrator
Pretty sure you can find it, but it would require research. I have no time to mess with that. I doubt it will be the BIOS though, just a last ditch effort.

gcain

I managed to find the connector. I flash these things just often enough that it's probably worth having a jig.

I have two boards now that are doing the same thing.
Should I throw then in the bin, or keep trying?

SMMRepair

FYI, those connectors are garbage. You'll go crazy getting corrupted/partial dumps, read/write errors, "no chip found", etc. Really aggravating. Better to just take 3 minutes to solder wires or pull the chip. Just a suggestion.

gcain

Thanks for the heads up.
I did experience something similar with a clothes-peg-adapter I built a few years back now. Maybe pulling them off is a cleaner solution.
Once an EFI chip (13"Retina board) cracked in half when it came off and it turned into a nightmare. So I've been reluctant to pull them off unless I have to ever since. Of course you could say it was already compromised which is what lead me to remove and flash it in the first place.

dukefawks

Administrator
You have 2 boards that have the same? The most common case is liquid or someone stabbed a component off. BIOS is last ditch.....