820-3332 Video blackscreens sometimes, now fan will only spin sometimes

RavetcoFX

This board had no liquid damage and no other visible damage. So it was starting off with intermittent blackscreens, which I thought I traced to the dedicated graphics not getting power on gpuvcore as it seemed to black out when it was switching, and now when I try and plug it in, I get the orange light, but the fan will rarely spin, and I hear clicking noises coming from the circuitry, and yes it does seem to be the electronics, because it will click even with the fan unplugged. I thought this might be a coil or mosfet as I have heard of them making strange noises like clicking, but I'm a bit lost here, especially since it will turn on randomly after plugging it in many times.

Edit: and I am using an 85W charger

RavetcoFX

sorry about that duke, the charger is briefly green before going to a steady orange, I get PPBUS_G3H, PP5V_S5, SMC_ONOFF_L, I don't get PP3V3_S4 or PP3V3_S3 naturally,
whatever is clicking does it like crazy when I short ONOFF_L to ground

Last edited:

Sykulski

It's hard to hear where the sound precisely is coming from just by sticking your ear to the board. I sometimes make a paper cone with a little hole in the one end and use it as a sound funnel while moving around on top of the board. Very simple but it helps me to identify the culprit.

RavetcoFX

Something else new I found was that the cpu and gpu get progressively warmer when the charger is plugged in, also the clicking has stopped after I tried doing an smc bypass

RavetcoFX

I'm guessing the short is either being caused the tantalum C7040, U7000, or Q7035. I'm leaning more towards the tantalum I think, not too sure though