820-3476 - Always thinks magsafe adapter is connected

dukefawks

Administrator
That would work too of course. As long as you start out with 10.11 and update to the latest it will work. Maybe you can do it directly if you boot it from the internet recovery, never tried that.

Sykulski

You can also force flash the EFI update. That way you save a lot of time with installations, updates and backups

dukefawks

Administrator
There is no separate EFI updates for APFS support unless you have spent the time digging them out of a 10.12/13 installation package. Please link me to the update if you have it.

Sykulski

I spent the time already. Here are 10.13.5 EFI payloads. I am also using these for cleaning ME etc.

Just put them on a USB installer and run from Terminal:

bless -mount / -firmware "/EFIPayloads/<FILENAME>" --recovery -verbose
shutdown -r now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GBF...ew?usp=sharing

Do you also want the SMC Payloads and JSONs ??

Last edited:

Sykulski

Your welcome. Saves a lot of time in the long run :)

Especially in cases like this particular one that only need APFS support activated.

I know Duke (and several others in here) knows what to do. But to other people that want to play around with these files - be aware! Use the correct file for the specific machine or else you're going to waste the time which was meant to be saved :)

Last edited:

SMMRepair

Thank you for this! This will help save a lot of time...getting tired of constantly wiping SSDs and re-downloading stress tests and whatnot. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

SMMRepair

Yeah I've been doing forced-updates for years (you may have even been the one that showed me how several years back on AR forums!), but didn't have files for the 2015+ models, so only for <2014. This will help with the newer stuff, too, and also really aid in cleaning some of those pesky ME regions. Starting in 2015, they seem to be much more finicky, and even good files from one board sometimes don't work on another (I mean, no chime, nothing). Helps to have the actual file and then force-update like this; so thank you again! This is also key to fixing a lot of the iSight issues on 3435/3437 boards that get killed from cleaning ME, etc.

This reminds me of a question, actually, and you might be able to help! On boards that have a new (newest?) version of EFI update, you get an error when trying to force-update just to clean ME region, which I imagine is because you can't force an update if it detects the newest version (or same version as the one you're trying to force). You also can't force-update to an older version; usually I have to pull the chip, manually write an older version, then force update to current version again. My question is: Is there a way around this? Is there any way to force it to update regardless if the present EFI version is current? In the event of a suspected damaged ME region, etc. Would sure save time in those cases.

So for this situation, for example: 2015 A1502 with confirmed damaged ME, but also most-current firmware version; either clean ME or load from another board to allow boot, but might cause ME-related issues as expected sometimes, so need to update to "fix", just in case; load up USB with scap folder, force-update via terminal, but get error because the current version matches the one you're attempting to force-update to board. Now what? Take hours trying to find an older version that will actually work, then proceed to update (current procedure), or some terminal command that will force the update regardless of the version present? Does this make sense?

Last edited:

SMMRepair

It's me! You have saved me so much time the past few years; can you send me a PM? I want to get your contact for some specific questions I've had. I just edited my previous post (page 2) to address one I've been curious about. :)

Joesipaq

HA! i just came back here. Finally go the new bios to work, wiped the ssd, installed el capitan, and went through the update to high sierra... guess email notifications for post arn't working that well for me....