820-3536-A dead

dukefawks

Administrator
Inject voltage on L7130 then, you can go higher there as normal is 12V there. Something must get hot if you run 5A into that.

dukefawks

Administrator
Well, I think we can assume there is a high side FET shorted in the CPU power supply. This kills the CPU, so this board is done.

I ve lifted all 4 FET's on the CPU circuit. 1 of them is indeed shorted.
you said that this will kill the CPU, is it possible to replace the CPU? And can you explain me how this can be caused?

dukefawks

Administrator
Of course you can replace the CPU but this is not worth it. It was probably caused by liquid spilled on the CPU regulator or someone shorting something out.

dukefawks

Administrator
You can't unless you make the board work again. This is from experience, once the high side shorts the CPU is dead in 90% of the boards.

You said "the high side" what do you mean by that?
By measuring the coil L7630 I found it short also on pin2 side.

After lifting the CPU the short is gone from the board.

i ve found thouse CPU on aliexpress for sale. 125$ new price. what is your experience on those chips from aliexpress (quality)? if you buy from those.
Do you have any good chip supplier to advise me.
is there a way to test the cpu outside the board for short? like testing caps on bottom of it with continuity tester.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
I'm only going to give you one advise: This board is done, why spend $125 on a Chinese junk CPU then find out more things wrong with the board. Possibly frying the new CPU again. Also ME region must be corrected in BIOS.
This one is done over end of story.

I want to come back on this case;

Like Louis said 3 days ago on his live streem that CPU's can be replaced if we don t get often macs to repair a day. If not I can replace it. In my case I get just 1 a 3 macs a month for repair.
Also the customer blaims me that I m responsable for damaging his board, because he gave it me working. Now I said to him that the board is dead. He didn t picked it up.

My question is can somebody here help me with ME region rectification if I buy the CPU?

dukefawks

Administrator
Uhm, first you replace the CPU then see if it works and only after that we will fix the ME. But be warned you are wasting your time and money, this will probably end in tears.....
Please take the advice from someone that does 10 of these a day. Do not replace the CPU unless you have one sitting around that is free, do NOT spend $100+ on some chinese junk CPU DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Last edited: