820-4924-A 0v on PP3V3_S0

PP3V3_S5_REG is showing 3.3v at C7523 and C8030. I tried replacing U8030 to no avail. No shorts around U8030, all resistors are showing corrector values. I'm not sure where to look for the cause at this point. There are signs of water damage around the trackpad, but someone else has had a go at this board so I'm not entirely sure if there was any corrosion elsewhere.

smiba

Are you even in a S4 or later state?

Whats the voltage of:
- S5_PWRGD
- PM_SLP_S4_L
- PP5V_S5
- PP3V3_S4
- PP3V3_SUS

Are you even in a S4 or later state?

Whats the voltage of:
- S5_PWRGD
- PM_SLP_S4_L
- PP5V_S5
- PP3V3_S4
- PP3V3_SUS

- S5_PWRGD 3.73v
- PM_SLP_S4_L 0v
- PP5V_S5 5v
- PP3V3_S4 0v
- PP3V3_SUS 0v

I must add some information about this board that I didn't mention before and also some new info. It initially came in from a friend because the fan wasn't starting. Everything else was working fine. My diagnosis came from finding that once the board was powered up I was getting 0v on pp3v3_s0 on r6061. I didn't at the time know about the different power states - only until I saw your post here asking about S4. I'm still not entirely sure how it works. I have tried to track back through schematic of power rail of pp3v3_s0 in order to find where the power drop happens and found that pp3v3_s5_reg gives power to pp3v3_s0, hence why I mention that in the original post.

Anyway, since the original post I'm now getting fan spinning but am no longer getting hard drive recognition! I'm not entirely sure why this has happened.

dukefawks

Administrator
Fan on 4924 board will not spin until the CPU heats up. This board never had anything wrong with it!

Anyway, since the original post I'm now getting fan spinning but am no longer getting hard drive recognition! I'm not entirely sure why this has happened.

So the board works now? You get the question markt?

Hm...the owner gave this to me saying that the problem was the fan never spinning. I'll find out tomorrow. Anyway, now it's question mark on 2 confirmed working hard drives. Also, the fan spins immediately when plugging in the AC but only if the battery is plugged in first.

As far as I remember, all I've done is replace U8030 and cleaned corrosion on the trackpad board.

Last edited:
PRAM reset not working (Alt+Win+P+R, also tried CTRL+WIN+P+R). Internal keyboard now working after connecting trackpad but also doesn't PRAM reset with COMMAND+ALT+P+R. I tried disconnecting keyboard and trackpad and still doesn't work with external keyboard. ALT on startup brings up BIOS password lock screen. Both keyboards can type in the password field.

dukefawks

Administrator
Ah, this thing has an EFI password. Hold down ALT and it will show you a padlock. I assume the owner will know the password....

Unfortunately not! The owner was given by someone who has access to lots of Macbook parts, the bits to put this together and it ended up in my hands without knowing the history. Oh well, at least I learnt a few things whilst working on it, and he let me have the board as a donor. Presumably that's all it's good for now? Thanks very much for your help.