820-4924-A Not recognizing battery

TiptonRepair

Hello all! First post!

I have a customer who has brought in a water damaged Macbook and this one has me lost.... Customer came in stating the system booted fine with the charger plugged in and when she unplugged it, it would instantly turn off. After going over the board thoroughly, there were 2 spots with very light corrosion. One was around U7100 and one area was around DZ6607. After carefully cleaning away the corrosion I did not see any pads or traces damaged so we tested the board again it did not recognize the original battery again. We then tried a new battery and it started working.... Battery percentage showed up and everything appeared to work. After fully assembling the laptop thinking we had figured it out, the battery stopped recognizing again. Next step was replace U7100 with a new one which we have done... still no change. If the Macbook is prompted to boot without the charger, nothing happens. Plug in the charger and press the power button, we get Apple logo. Unplugging the adapter will cause the machine to boot right up to about where the cursor would appear on the screen and it goes shuts off.

Any ideas? Where does everyone get diode mode readings like ZXW for iPhones? I am using OpenBoardView.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Post exact voltage for PPBUS_G3H, when battery is not recognized.
Good to know it on charger only too.

Also check if you get 3V42_G3H with ONLY battery connected.

Check diode mode (red probe to ground) and voltage at SCL/SDA battery lines.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Post exact voltage for PPBUS_G3H, when battery is not recognized.
Good to know it on charger only too."
1 - charger + battery.
2 - charger only.

TiptonRepair

Oh crap, miss read that... :p

Charger and battery = 12.57 for about 4 seconds, then drops to 11.75V over 3 or 4 seconds, then back to 12.57V
Charger Only = 12.57V

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like MLB tries to charge battery, but some sensor blocks it.
Post CHGR_A/BMON in all cases.
Check exact resistance between pins 17/18 and 27/28 of ISL6259 (ohm scale).

TiptonRepair

Not sure which mode you want me to test CHGR_A / BMON in, but here are the diode mode readings :

CHGR_AMON = 0.726
CHGR_BMON = 0.733

Pin 17 - 18 Resistance : 3.4 Ohms
Pin 27 - 28 Resistance : 20.4 Ohms

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Not sure which mode you want me to test CHGR_A / BMON in"
I mean voltage level for these signals, in all charger/battery combinations...

TiptonRepair

Ok... Here we go :

AMON Battery Only = 0V
AMON Battery and Charger = 230mV
AMON Charger Only = 250mV

BMON Battery Only = 155mV
BMON Battery and Charger = 50mV
BMON Charger Only = 51mV

TiptonRepair

It does work without the battery no problem at all. We have tried 3 batteries now, one which was her original, one that was our stock battery, and another battery from a known good system.

TiptonRepair

Do I need to have this customer go to Apple to get taken care of? I can't seem to locate the issue and she would like to get her device back soon. Other option is to replace the while motherboard I guess.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If you already changed ISL6259 and checked traces and didn't find bad diode mode values, only remains SMC...

TiptonRepair

What are the chances the SMC is the fault? It still boots and SMC reset shows to work... just does not fix the problem. I have not tried replacing an SMC before, but can probably do it as I do most other IC's on iPhones.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First remove D7050, I forgot about it.

You have correct PPBUS_G3H with charger only, but SMC is the last option, as no other device is connected to battery bus.
The measurments points more to bad battery, but you told as have tried 3 already...