A1398 Battery Issues

TexpertLLC

Got a A1398 when it came in it would not power on and no light on charger (brand new charger 85w). When using older 85w charger green light shows solid but still won't power on. After disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting the battery, the machine automatically boots (with dong). Once machine boots (normal and quickly) battery shows X inside battery icon on menu bar. Ghosting of display brightness being dimmed to black screen happens intermittently. No signs of liquid damage. Also customer reported a recent drop and HDMI port and USB port on right side now working.

Any ideas?

dukefawks

Administrator
Run ASD to see why fans are on full. Further I suspect a bad battery and the usual U8900 problem, check the sticky on that.

rany

If it is anything like my own 820-3332, it has a bad battery + the U8900 problem because my battery is bad and in parallel I get full fan speed intermittently.
EDIT: I'll try the U8900 repair this week when I have time to tear it apart as I use it for work all the time.

TexpertLLC

I cannot get it to boot into ASD. And the only way I can get it to power on is plugging in the charger or (without the charger connected) I can disconnect and then reconnect the battery and it will power on. When it does boot up I can verify that the keyboard is working. But when it is powered down the power button on the keyboard will not power it on.