A1534 2016 12" Macbook new keyboard not typing

ytesfay80

This machines keyboard was liquid damaged and not working so I replaced the keyboard and after plugging everything in and turning the machine on I got to the login screen. I didn't have a password as I was still waiting on the customers password but when I pressed random keys on the keyboard I could see they were being logged so the keyboard works.
I shut it down and turned it back on and ever since then I haven't been able to get any of the keys to type. The only thing that works on the keyboard is the power button.

I have tried plugging in another keyboard as well as another trackpad but that didn't work either.

ytesfay80

When I said "I have tried plugging in another keyboard as well as another trackpad but that didn't work either"
I meant to say another keyboard cable and not another keyboard.

Again though I tried a bunch of combinations of another keyboard flex cable, trackpad flex cable(tpad flex cable is from 2015 version that has different model # but looks exactly the same), and trackpad but neither of those got the keyboard to work. I'm not sure why the power button and trackpad work fine but none of the keys work.

Update: After doing all this, now when I put the original trackpad and keyboard flex cables in I get taken to this screen after the apple logo. When I plug the charger in it turns on and the Apple logo appears but the loading bar doesn't go anywhere and this screen appears(attached image). I can still turn the machine off by holding the power button and even while that screen appears I can feel the trackpad when I click which doesn't work when the machine is off or the trackpad is not working.

Attachments

• IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
I have no idea. I hope you always pressed the battery disconnect button before inserting/removing the cables.
I still say a fucked cable or connector or not plugged in all the way.

ytesfay80

I pretty sure I pressed the battery disconnect button each time. Whats weird is that it worked initially then after a few minutes after shutting down and not messing with anything it no longer worked.

Do you know what that symbol means in the pictures I attached in the previous post. I believe in the past you said that has to do with the trackpad.
I tried disconnecting the keyboard flex cable and I got taken to the same screen and again once I removed the trackpad flex cable. I ordered some of those and I'll see if that fixes this.

dukefawks

Administrator
It means it does not see a keyboard/mouse and wants you to plug something in. There is a LED on the board that will go off when you press the battery disconnect.

ytesfay80

Yes I make sure the LED goes off when I click the battery disconnect button sometimes I have to hold it for the light to go off.
I'm not sure how it's not seeing a trackpad when I can feel the trackpad clicking I click it which doesn't happen when the machine is off or the trackpad cable is disconnected. I can still shut the machine down when I get to that screen by holding the power button.
I will test with the new cables once they come in.