Apple MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" (Early 2015) - Folder Question Mark

TexpertLLC

Apple MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" (Early 2015) - Folder Question Mark

Apple MacBook Air "Core i5" 1.6 13" (Early 2015) - Folder Question Mark. Removed SSD and connected it to another machine via USB enclosure allowing me to mount and browse no files no problem. Are these known for any issue that prevents the SSD from being recognized on boot? Help is appreciated.

Go into internet recovery mode. Utilities>Terminal.
Type “diskutil list”
The first result should be the internal drive. You can also use Disk Utikity to manage.
John is right though, if your Mac firmware isn’t updated to recognize APFS, it won’t see the drive. Updating to HS should fix that. You’ll hear a long beep like the RAM tone once the firmware is updated.

dukefawks

Administrator
Just boot from any installer and see if SSD is recognized by DiskUtility. Could be corrupted OSX install or the infamous APFS problem.

TexpertLLC

The SSD is not recognized in Disk Utility but I can browse it no problem from an external adapter connected to a different machine. How can I get the SSD updated to High Sierra to fix firmware issue if I can't get it mounted?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
It should at least see the SSD as a device. Tried a known good SSD in this machine? May be a problem with the board.

If you’re accessing on another Mac with High Sierra and Disk Utility shows the format type as APFS, then it will not be visible on the Mac in question until the firmware is updated. (You cannot update the firmware by installing on an external drive. This is the problem with the aftermarket drives that are only compatible with HS).

If this is the case and you don’t have another drive to test with you’ll need to backup then wipe the drive, reformat to Mac Journeled, and reinstall the OS through an installer drive or internet recovery.

If it shows as Mac Journeled or another compatible format, then it’s probably the board. Would test with another drive though.

TexpertLLC

When connected to another Mac via USB adapter, Disk Utility shows it as "CoreStorage Logical Volume".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.26.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.26.54 AM.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

TexpertLLC

Another (identical) MacBook Air I have in for repair (with what is similar issue, just won't boot in OS, but can be browsed externally no problem), connected via USB shows this in Disk Utility: "USB External Physical Volume". Neither of these are aftermarket SSDs. They are both the OEM SSD.

With the first one of these two SSDs First Aid fails to repair. But on the second SSD First Aid finds no problems.

Also the first SSD was encrypted if that makes any impact.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.30.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.30.05 AM.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.38.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 9.38.59 AM.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
You need to exclude some variables here. Get a known good SSD with 10.11 installed so there will be no mistakes with APFS. First see if both machines can boot from that. After that it is just a corrupt OSX install or a bad SSD. Make sure the version of OSX you are using to browse these SSD is 10.12 or higher so that APFS is supported. An encrypted SSD you can do nothing with until you enter the password and it can be mounted.

Get DiskWarrior for file system repair, Disk Utility is crap for this. I'm not sure if DiskWarrior supports APFS yet.

TexpertLLC

I have the password for the encrypted SSD that's no problem. I am browsing these both SSDs with HS 10.13.6. I don't think I have any other compatible SSDs that fit these MBA models. So I may be stuck with backup reformat and reinstall just narrow it down.