BIOS chip removed by other party, need to install a new one

Tok Tok

Hello,

Just made an account so this is my first post.

I've got a macbook pro 820-2530 with various components missing and a ticking sound (short going on and off). I put all the components back and fixed the ticking. One of the components missing was the BIOS chip and so I need to put new one on. I already ordered a new one from China but I have no experience with cleaning the ME region or whatever is necessary to get this to work. I would like to know what kind of tools I need for this and how this is done. This is probably kind of a big question but I need to start somewhere.

Best Regards,
Joep

wrbailey

If it were me, I would just look on ebay and purchase one off of there (BIOSDEPOT is the user I got mine from, a few months ago.) I had a 2009 2.53 with similar stripped down issues. I replaced the SPI ROM with one from ebay, that was already "programmed" and was good to go. If it is a 2009, if I am correct, there is no ME region to worry about. I believe that is only the core i5/i7 series beginning in 2011 for 13" and 2010 for 15" models...

You could also buy a donor, hole in the board, board from china and it usually is stated if the BIOS is on there and you can just pull it right off. Just make sure the EMC and processor match...

Someone else step in, IF I am completely wrong.

Tok Tok

I was wondering which models had an ME region, thanks. I'll search for a donor board then.

I still would like to know how the ME region is cleaned. I have at least one macbook air 2012 board that is running slow, I think there has been some tempering with the bios before me.

aprendiz

Only core i5 and core i7 machines have ME region.... 820-2530 have a core 2 duo processor, so ME region does not apply in this case

Tok Tok

I ran ASD but not errors on the sensor sense resistors. It gave me two errors, the first one was on Thunderbolt, which said "Zero lanes" and the second one was "No ME Region". For the last one I probably need to reprogram the bios.

But I don't have any equipment for that. Do I need a raspberry pi for that and one of those clips or chips to access the bios? I would also need a step by step instruction on how to do this, I've seen a video where somebody does this but it's not easy. Because putting a new file in the bios is not enough right? You would also have to put in the corresponding serial number. I would would very much like to learn this.

dukefawks

Administrator
Get a programmer like a EZP2010 or TL866. Just flash any dump from same board into the chip and be done with it. Who cares about the serial, it will only mess up the checksum.
These machines have no thunderbolt only display port and no ME region, ignore the error.
Actually now I think about it the board is working fine, don't touch the BIOS anymore.

Tok Tok

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear. I need the programmer for a 2012 macbook Air. The board of the 2010 macbook I'm just going to replace from a donor board.

From what I've read the 2012 macbooks needs specific cleaning or else it will fail, or is that not true? Is the EZP2010 or TL866 the right programmer for a 2012 MB aswell?

wrbailey

I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear. I need the programmer for a 2012 macbook Air. The board of the 2010 macbook I'm just going to replace from a donor board.

From what I've read the 2012 macbooks needs specific cleaning or else it will fail, or is that not true? Is the EZP2010 or TL866 the right programmer for a 2012 MB aswell?

Oh so, you aren't just dealing with missing/damaged EFI... You're working with stolen laptops I am guessing and wanting to remove iCloud/EFI locks...

One old laptop (2009) I can see possibly needing a new EFI ROM/BIOS, but now you need an Air bios... I've only ever had to replaced one bad BIOS. And if you're on ghostlyhaks, then you probably initially searched for "remove icloud lock MacBook air" and found that...

Tok Tok

My advice is forget about ghostlyhaks shit and get a real programmer, EZP2010 and TL866 (with adapters) will do the job perfectly... You will need this adapter to do your life easier http://www.drivestar.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_156_159&products_id=2880 (this is for reference, it is to expensive)

So what is the difference between soldering off the chip, putting it in a adapter to program it and using the onboard connector and program it from there?

Oh so, you aren't just dealing with missing/damaged EFI... You're working with stolen laptops I am guessing and wanting to remove iCloud/EFI locks...

One old laptop (2009) I can see possibly needing a new EFI ROM/BIOS, but now you need an Air bios... I've only ever had to replaced one bad BIOS. And if you're on ghostlyhaks, then you probably initially searched for "remove icloud lock MacBook air" and found that...

Let me be very clear about this because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I work on broken laptops as a hobby to make some money because I'm still a student. The laptops I buy all have liquid damage and the two macbook airs I'm talking about now turn out have bad ME regions because someone before me has screwed with the bios. That leaves me with two options, I can either undo the fixing I've done andsell the laptops again and lift someone the same way I was lifted. Or I can fix them and sell them to someone who can still put them to good use. It is bad enough this has cost me money and I'm not going to be screwed twice by giving them to the police which will accomplish nothing. There are people who are in the stolen laptop business but it's not me. I'm just getting more and more careful of which laptops I buy from people.

I did not search "remove iCloud lock" because that is not what the article is about.

So you need a BIOS with clean ME. Is this a 820-3209 board?

Yes

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
I have a clean BIOS for this board, but it is on my home machine. I am not home until wednesday, can you give this topic a bump later this week so I don't forget?

aprendiz

Well, with programmer, just pull out, program, put back..... with ghostlyhaks, do your connector, deal with cables because are too long, deal with commands, reading error, etc, etc... Anyway,, here is the file....

Last edited:

wrbailey

Let me be very clear about this because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I work on broken laptops as a hobby to make some money because I'm still a student. The laptops I buy all have liquid damage and the two macbook airs I'm talking about now turn out have bad ME regions because someone before me has screwed with the bios. That leaves me with two options, I can either undo the fixing I've done andsell the laptops again and lift someone the same way I was lifted. Or I can fix them and sell them to someone who can still put them to good use. It is bad enough this has cost me money and I'm not going to be screwed twice by giving them to the police which will accomplish nothing. There are people who are in the stolen laptop business but it's not me. I'm just getting more and more careful of which laptops I buy from people.

I did not search "remove iCloud lock" because that is not what the article is about.

Well, then let me be the first to apologize by jumping to conclusions... I hope you are able to repair these machines.

I have a listing on CL offering to buy liquid damaged/non-functioning Macs and 9 out of 10 emails I get are asking about selling me iCloud locked machines. So maybe I've been tainted. My response to those emails, "Give the machine back to the person you stole it from" (they don't appreciate my "offer")

Any way. Sorry for the assumption.

Tok Tok

Well, with programmer, just pull out, program, put back..... with ghostlyhaks, do your connector, deal with cables because are too long, deal with commands, reading error, etc, etc... Anyway,, here is the file....

Oke I need to do more research about how this works exactly. Dealing with commands is something I'm trying to avoid. Is there a basic guide on this? To give me a general idea of the workings.

Thanks for the file!

Well, then let me be the first to apologize by jumping to conclusions... I hope you are able to repair these machines.

I have a listing on CL offering to buy liquid damaged/non-functioning Macs and 9 out of 10 emails I get are asking about selling me iCloud locked machines. So maybe I've been tainted. My response to those emails, "Give the machine back to the person you stole it from" (they don't appreciate my "offer")

Any way. Sorry for the assumption.

That's oke, I know there are a lot of people who deal in stolen laptops and try to fix them this way. I had a conversation with a fellow student today about the fact that macbooks get stolen often at our school. They are a target because of their value. I'm still not sure if apple is doing a good thing with the iCloud lock, there are also a lot of people who think they are buying a good (legal) second hand laptop from someone with good intentions. If they're iCloud locked these people are getting screwed as well.